Should I bottle or wait?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

millmatt

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I brewed up a saison about 3 weeks ago. I used wyeast 3711 yeast it clocked in at 1.064 og. I checked it 2 days ago and it was at 1.006, checked again today and its at 1.005. There is a bubble from the airlock every 20-25 seconds. Beer smith and the recipe planned for a FG of 1.006. I assume it can't really dry out that much more. Should I let it sit longer and RDWHAHB or is it probably good to bottle?

dstranger99

Reaction score
It's odd how 3 weeks have passed and you still have airlock activity? But to answer your question, I'd say no if there is still airlock activity........

levtbeas

Reaction score
I would say bottle it. If your FG is dead on, you're probably good to go. Do you recall the OG the recipe states?

Blitzkrieg

Reaction score
If you have any temp fluctuations they can cause false airlock activity. Any chance its cooling down a little at night (sucking in) then just bubbling off as it warms up during the day? All it would take is a degree or so and some headspace.

levtbeas

Reaction score
Cool thanks. The cooling and warming thing makes sense. I think I'll give it another day or two checking the gravity each day.

The recipe og was 1.062. I based this batch on:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/cottage-house-saison-254684/
Yep, I'd definitely go ahead an bottle. OG and FG look nearly spot on, and the aformentioned heating and cooling of wort may explain your bubbling. I always go by my hydrometer, never my airlock.