Should I bottle my beer today or wait another week?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucasweb

Reaction score
I'm brewing my first beer using a 1 gallon kit from The Brooklyn Brew Store. It is the Everyday IPA kit.

The recipe says to wait for 2 weeks after pitching before bottling. It has only been 1 week but I have not seen any activity in the carboy for a couple of days.

I took a reading today with a hydrometer which was 1.03 which is not ideal for an IPA. I do not have a OG reading as my hydrometer only arrived in the post today.

My question is at this stage will leaving it another week make a difference and if not what are my alternatives. Should I bottle, should I pitch some more yeast, or is there anything else I can do?

Thanks in advance.

Definitely wait at least another week. I would check the SG again in 2-3 days. If it hasn't moved, you can try to swirl the beer around a bit in the fermenter to get the yeast back in suspension. At 1.030, I would be surprised if fermentation is done.

Also, the only reliable way to know if the beer is fermenting or not is a hydrometer. Activity in the carboy doesn't really mean much.

I usually leave my beer in the fermenter for 4 weeks.

I agree that 1.030 is very high. You should wait at least another week. Maybe 2...or 3. Airlock activity is not an accurate sign of fermentation...nor is lack of activity a reliable sign that fermentation is complete.

I know it is tough, especially with your first brew, but just walk away from the fermenter and let the yeast do their thing. No good comes out of rushing things.

Took another reading today and it is now 1.021 I'm going to give it another week and see what happens.

It has a nice hoppy smell about it and tastes pretty good but does leave a bit of a overly bitter aftertaste at the moment, is this something that will mellow over time?

3 weeks minimum, and then only if I'm in a rush and there is 3+ days without any drop in the SG. More time is better. Patience is a key ingredient in beer :D

Yes the bitterness of the hops will mellow out over time. It is an IPA you're drinking though... ;)

I really like the idea of the Brooklyn Brewshop 1 Gal kits. But, a 1 gallon batch doesn't leave much beer for hydrometer readings. My advice on these is generally not to worry about hydrometer readings but give your beer at least 3 weeks after pitching before bottling (4 weeks or more is even better). The other option of course is to use a refractometer. You want at least two readings, a couple days apart with no change before bottling.

When in doubt wait it out....I leave my beers in primary 1 month minimum.

Two years ago I took Revvy's advice on leaving my beers in the primary for at least 4 weeks and the quality of my brews has continued to get better and better. An extra 1-2 weeks beyond what a "recipe from a kit" might state will help give time for the yeast to clean up after themselves. I know waiting the extra 1-2 weeks might seem hard but it will be well worth it.

Back