Should I bottle it or keep it in the fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrinkinSurfer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My first brew is currently sitting in the primary right now. It is a Belgian Ale and is 8 days old. My OG was 1.063 and my current SG is 1.014. I wouldn't dare bottling until I make sure that this is in fact my FG. I was wondering if it would be better to: A) leave it in the primary for an extra week. B) Stick it in a secondary for a little while. or C) Bottle age it and make room for batch #2.

Will bottle aging get the same results in terms of taste as leaving it in the fermenters? I am not concerned with the clarity or appearance necessarily. I just want a tasty homebrew.

Ingredients incase you were wondering:

• 7 ½ lbs Pale Liquid Malt Extract
• ¾ lb Crystal 40 Malt
• ¼ lb Belgian Special B Malt
• 1 lb Belgian Dark Candi Sugar
• 1 ½ oz Fuggle Pellet Hops (Bittering)
• ½ oz Fuggle Pellet Hops (Aroma)
• 1 Vial of White Labs 500 Trappist Ale Yeast

Thanks in advance for your input.

Leave it in the fermenter for another week. Let the yeast clean up their byproducts. They are still working after the SG is at your FG.

+1 to what eppo said.

Before reading your post, just from the title, my suggestion would be "Leave it."

After reading your post, my thought is, "Leave it, just a little while longer." :)

I don't think you should rack it off to secondary if you might bottle it in a week or so. The main reason to go to secondary is to get if off the yeast sediment; if you don't need to get it off its sediment ("lees" or "trub", sorry if you knew those terms already!) then there is a risk of oxidation going to secondary that is just not necessary. Belgians *very rarely* need to get off their own lees that fast, IMO.

If you really are that impatient to start the next batch, just ferment it in your secondary. :)

Thanks for the input. I was planning on leaving it in the primary a little longer but was reading about some of the guys and gals on here haulin' butt through the process and having drinkable beer in a fast, take no prisoners sorta way. And as a Marine, the fast, take no prisoners method is always appealing... And it means I drink a lot.

Just keep in mind that this is my own opinion, but I would go to secondary fort a week then bottle. This is just my way of insuring that I never have to deal with yeast bite. I do this with almost all of my brews and have had no issues. It also insures that you have much less gunk to deal with on the bottom of the carboy/bucket.

Nice recipe, sounds tasty.

I would either let it sit in the primary for another week, or secondary for a week. I either let mine sit three weeks in the primary, or one week in the primary then another two weeks in the secondary.

I also agree that it sounds like a tasty recipe.

I ended up racking it to a secondary. My SG is still at 1.014. ABV ~ 6.4%. The color is a little lighter than I expected. Somewhere in the neighborhood of a light Dubbel or dark Tripel. It has good potential. Still has some yeast bite, but its just over a week old. My first impression of the recipe is to keep the Fuggles as the aroma but change the bittering to something a little more mild. We'll see in another week how it matures. Thanks for the input everyone.

I racked to the secondary yesterday. I guess this resuspended some yeast because there is now a bit of activity in the airlock again. Any guess as to how much this could lower my SG? My apparent attenuation was 77% and the yeast is typically rated for 75-80%. Think it will get to 80%? Just wondering. Thanks

I'd be surprised if it moved more than a few points. If it does move more than just a couple, then that might mean you had sugars layering out somehow, which would throw off your gravity readings.

As for brewing faster, low ABV beers can finish really quickly. Anything above 4%, just to give a number, is going to benefit from some extra time. Also, IMO force-carbing is pretty much a necessity to be able to go from primary to your stomach in under two weeks. I don't know if you have a keg set-up, but if you do, then you can try the super-speed-brew I guess. :cross:

Back