Should I be worried?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcatt

Reaction score
Alright, brewed my first batch this past Saturday. Didn't have any issues, followed all sanitation procedures. My beer is in a 5 galloon plastic carboy. I have setup a blow off tub running into a growler of sanitized water. The blowoff tube/growler started bubbling pretty aggressively after about 12-18 hours and bubbled all day yesterday. I woke up this morning and it had stopped bubbling completely. There was a very large "head" at the top of the beer while it was bubbling but now that has disappeared since the bubbling has stopped. I placed a fermometer on the side of the carboy and it is reading 70-72 degrees. Should I be worried? Is this normal? I assumed that it would bubble until it was done fermenting? Help.

looks like everything should be ok.. sounds like your fermenting a little on the warm side for ales but its not too far out. If heat is your problem then the yeasties will be much more active and go on a huge orgy which would explain why your beer was very aggressive for a couple days then stopped.

There is more than likely still some fermentation activity going on. I would take a gravity reading to see where you stand then wait a couple days and try again. If the numbers are the same the beer is done.

I'm brewing an Irish red ale. I'm suppose to start secondary fermentation in 1-2 weeks per the recipe. I'm going to pickup a hydrometer today and get a reading. Is there any harm in letting it sit for 2 weeks?

Nope. That will help clear it up a little better actually. As far as secondary fermentation, there's really no need for it unless you are adding something to the beer (fruit flavor, dry hopping). Racking to secondary increases your chance of oxidizing your beer so unless you are adding anything to it, I would just let it sit in primary until you are ready to bottle.

Nope. That will help clear it up a little better actually. As far as secondary fermentation, there's really no need for it unless you are adding something to the beer (fruit flavor, dry hopping). Racking to secondary increases your chance of oxidizing your beer so unless you are adding anything to it, I would just let it sit in primary until you are ready to bottle.
Thanks guys, will it possibly continue bubbling again?

Typically anymore for me ill let the ferment go for 3-4 weeks then go straight to keg.. then i throw it in the freezer at 34 degrees for a week or two, if its a lager i let it stay in freezer for a month or two typically.. so as long as your process was clean and you didnt stress the yeast i wouldnt worry about it.

sounds like you had a viguros fermintation, great news. no I would not be worried, have a homebrew and smile, it sounds like it is going great.

big fluctuations in temerature, under or over pitching.. things like that.. not the bugs since we know they are there. If the yeast gets stressed it starts generating off flavors and/or dies early. When they die early they begin to breakdown and affect your beer flavor.

gotta treat them like little pets since they are living organisms they go through a whole life cycle too! just like when your sick you dont perform at 100% either.

EDIT::: LOL sorry i was posting this to another thread...

Just tested the batch using a hydrometer, if I read it correctly it said 1.100 is this normal/accurate?

sounds great just needs to age out and you should have a decent beer

Back