Should I Be Worried?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breck09

Reaction score
Yesterday about 30 minutes into my mash I realized I could not find my wort chiller. I searched high and low and couldn't find it. Someone must have stollen it out of my garage while the door was open at some point. Anyways I was a little bummed and was just trying to get through the brew day and when it came time to chill I did what I could with and ice bath and then was just going to put it in my freezer for a couple of hours. Not even thinking I poured 100 plus degree wort into my fermenter through a strainer. Should I be worried about HSA. I'm thinking no but I can't help but think about it in the back of my head. Thanks.

All the posts, blogs, literature, etc. that I've read says HSA is pretty difficult to achieve unless you're trying. You'll probably be fine. You certainly can't do anything about it now - don't dump it! Even if it is oxidized, if you drink it early it will be less noticeable, if at all. Sorry about the chiller, I hope you find it!

George Fix said 86F was the lower limit for HSA.

Also this.

I still don't think it's anything to worry about - you'd have to be pretty intentional in your aeration to get oxidation, methinks.

Interesting article.
I noticed there was a lot of talk about HSA PRE boil. Since the boil drives off the O2, I'm surprised they talk so much about stirring the mash too hard and splashing when transfering to the boil kettle.

Interesting article.
I noticed there was a lot of talk about HSA PRE boil. Since the boil drives off the O2, I'm surprised they talk so much about stirring the mash too hard and splashing when transfering to the boil kettle.

The oxygen (O2) may be driven off, but the oxidation (loss of electrons from molecules in the solution, if any) already happened.

Makes me re-think my practice of stirring my mash halfway through with my drill and paint mixer. :)

The oxygen (O2) may be driven off, but the oxidation (loss of electrons from molecules in the solution, if any) already happened.

Makes me re-think my practice of stirring my mash halfway through with my drill and paint mixer. :)

Yea, might have to get a longer hose that reaches to the bottom of my boil kettle so it doesn't splash when transfering from my mash tum. Might not make a difference, but can't hurt.

Yea, might have to get a longer hose that reaches to the bottom of my boil kettle so it doesn't splash when transfering from my mash tum. Might not make a difference, but can't hurt.

You could just orient it so it runs down the side. I haven't thought through the whole surface area side of this, but it's what I do.

I could...... but then I wouldn't have a reason to go to the LHBS and buy more stuff.
I'm going to 10gal batches, and have been thinking about building a more "closed" system with a bottom drain keggle mash tun going to a side mounted fitting high up on the boil kettle. I'll just put a 90 inside the kettle and run a tube down to the bottom of the boil kettle. Maybe use a "T" insted of a 90 and make up some sort of float gauge instead of a sight glass.....hummm

I started running a hose from my mash tun to my keggle, all gravity fed. Now I never had an issue with it falling 2ft to my keggle but it didn't cost much to have piece of mind.

Back