Should I be worried?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob1006

Reaction score
Brewed on Saturday everything went well hit all my numbers, looks good ect ect....

Only problem, my starter died. The HBS doesn't open again until Tuesday. My question is, should I be worried about contamination? I practice very good sanitation methods, never had a problem.

What do you guys think?

I don't think I made a big enough starter. I pulled it from the cake off my last batch bottled it and pooped in the fridge. That was two Weeks ago. On Thursday night I pulled it out, let it warm up while I made a mini mash of the grains I wad going to brew with. Added a little sugar and pored it in. krausen formed about two hours later and it was rolling along. That wad late Thursday. Friday morn it was still going so I left it out.
Saturday morning it looked fine so when I was done I pitched it at 68°. As of right now, nothing had happened in the fermenter. I pitched around 12pm sat, its 9:23 Sunday.

I don't think I made a big enough starter. I pulled it from the cake off my last batch bottled it and pooped in the fridge. That was two Weeks ago. On Thursday night I pulled it out, let it warm up while I made a mini mash of the grains I wad going to brew with. Added a little sugar and pored it in. krausen formed about two hours later and it was rolling along. That wad late Thursday. Friday morn it was still going so I left it out.
Saturday morning it looked fine so when I was done I pitched it at 68°. As of right now, nothing had happened in the fermenter. I pitched around 12pm sat, its 9:23 Sunday.

Fermentation can take as long as 72 hours to show signs of activity. How did you aerate?

I aerated the same way I always do. I let the hose sit just above the wort level when I rack it. it bubbles and swirls as it fills. Never had a problem with that either. The process has not changed for the last 15 batches I've made. Except for this time when I used a starter.

I aerated the same way I always do. I let the hose sit just above the wort level when I rack it. it bubbles and swirls as it fills. Never had a problem with that either. The process has not changed for the last 15 batches I've made. Except for this time when I used a starter.

What was the OG? Is there any krausen forming at all?

I'm just worried about all the little bugs floating around on the o2 inside the fermenter since its not producing any co2

It's only been 24 hrs man...relax...I bet it starts within the next day or so. I've had it take up to 72 hrs before on heat stressed yeast during the summer.

It's only been 24 hrs man...relax...I bet it starts within the next day or so. I've had it take up to 72 hrs before on heat stressed yeast during the summer.

I agree with this ^

To the OP; For what it's worth, you might have had good success with your aeration method in the past, but I think you will see a major improvement in your fermentation and beer quality if you find a better method...

Beer wants to be beer. I would read the biggest mistake you made while brewing thread on hear. It is not only funny but has dozens of examples of horrible scenarios or events that still wound up with decent brew.

Beer will be beer. If nothing happens by Tuesday morning, HBS here I come. just don't want the beer to get infected.

yeah i'm sure your fine, i always keep a pack of us-05 in my fridge. It doesn't expire for a while.

Beer will be beer. If nothing happens by Tuesday morning, HBS here I come. just don't want the beer to get infected.

I'd bet money that by Tuesday morning your airlock will be going crazy. Keep us posted if it does.

Back