should i be worried?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnbrewer371

Reaction score
so i brewed a pumpkin ale last night and poured it on a pretty big s-05 cake from a previous american amber ale. four hours after pitching it the airlock was going crazy and since i had to go out of town for a couple days i figured i should attach a hose to the stem on the airlock and make a blowoff tube since i was not able to sit around and babysit. Just asked SWMBO what kind of activity I was getting and she said it wasnt doing anything, do i have any reason to be concerned about this batch? I mean it was rocking out like crazy untill i pulled the airlock capper off and put a tube on the airlock stem?

No, probably close to being finished fermenting. Check the gravity reading to find out for sure.

I've done this a number fo times and haven't ever had a problem. Once the tube is in place, a lot of the CO2 can escape easily, so unless you get a visible vapor trap in a bend in the hose it will look like nothing is happening anyway.

I agree with Justibone. RDWHAHB.

No, probably close to being finished fermenting. Check the gravity reading to find out for sure.

I guess I just dont see how it could be done in just a few hours? the OG was 1.072? I guess im just stumped as to why one minute I have a very active fermentation and now it seems as if I dont have anything when all I did was go from airlock to blow off tube? I havent talked to SWMBO again about whats going on and will update when I talk to her in the morning? any other suggestions or help?

I've done this a number fo times and haven't ever had a problem. Once the tube is in place, a lot of the CO2 can escape easily, so unless you get a visible vapor trap in a bend in the hose it will look like nothing is happening anyway.

I agree with Justibone. RDWHAHB.

+1

Don't worry. More to do with the blow off tube. I think you may have saved your marriage though. Blown airlock = Pumpkin, flinging monkey poo fight.:D

I'm sure it's fine. Pumpkin would be a beer I'd want to keep an eye on just because you might get an explosive fermentation.

When fermentation dies down, I would stick airlock back on. Just me though.

What pumpkin recipe did you use and where'd you get your pumpkin?

I had a pumpkin porter planned. The only pie pumpkins I found ended up tasting terrible. I'll have to grow my own again next year.

DON'T PANIC!!!!

Don't brew then split town to worry :D

Now that you are busy not panicking, I am sure your beer is fine. It sounds as if rather than REPLACING the airlock with a blowoff tube you took the little cap and thimble off and attached the tube to the little nipple sticking out inside the airlock that is still attached to the fermenter, yes?

Probably just a bad seal, tube slipped, etc. I use a short length of 3/8 siphon tubing, shove it forcibly and with lots of swearing through the grommet or bung, and run that into a growler of star san. With that much swearing never any leaks, bubbles like crazy. Except when it doesn't. Bubble I mean.

+1

Don't worry. More to do with the blow off tube. I think you may have saved your marriage though. Blown airlock = Pumpkin, flinging monkey poo fight.:D

I'm sure it's fine. Pumpkin would be a beer I'd want to keep an eye on just because you might get an explosive fermentation.

When fermentation dies down, I would stick airlock back on. Just me though.

What pumpkin recipe did you use and where'd you get your pumpkin?

I had a pumpkin porter planned. The only pie pumpkins I found ended up tasting terrible. I'll have to grow my own again next year.

I formulated the recipe myself and would be happy to share, I used canned pumpkin as it seemed the easiest option outside of researching the ideal species of pumpkin for this sort of undertaking. I formulated the recipe based on taking ideas from several recipes and techniques I had found and using some things I have had good success with me in my brewing experiences. I found that according to Beertools, outside of the specialty beer (all inclusive guidelines) it most closely fits a Baltic Porter style guidelines so this may be what you are looking for, I can post it now or I can send you a pm or update the thread here in a month when I get around to tasting it. Not sure if im gonna stick it in a secondary to let it blend a little or not. to be honest ive never even had a pumpkin ale ever, tried to pick up a DFH punkin ale 4 pack but couldnt find any this year, but everyone raves about this style this time of year so thought I would try my hand at it, I really think this may be a recipe for success with this style though, either way let me know....

I am planning on sticking the airlock back on after I get home tuesday after I take a gravity reading, and if fermentation has died down, SWMBO isnt the biggest fan of this wonderful hobby so hate annoying her sticking her head in the brew closet everytime I call her, she will give me an update in the morning though hopefully and let me know if we have any activity, at this point im thinking it has to be a leak in the blowoff tube somewhere, dont know how it could go from by far the most instantly active quick fermentation i have seen yet (20 batches so far, still new)to nothing in the course of minutes, I mean it took off way way quicker than my 1.092 IIPA that I made a half gallon 1056 starter for, insane fermentation rate in under 4 hrs from pitching......just dont get it. if it is a leak should I be concerned? I mean people still do open fermentations right?

DON'T PANIC!!!!

Don't brew then split town to worry :D

Now that you are busy not panicking, I am sure your beer is fine. It sounds as if rather than REPLACING the airlock with a blowoff tube you took the little cap and thimble off and attached the tube to the little nipple sticking out inside the airlock that is still attached to the fermenter, yes?

Probably just a bad seal, tube slipped, etc. I use a short length of 3/8 siphon tubing, shove it forcibly and with lots of swearing through the grommet or bung, and run that into a growler of star san. With that much swearing never any leaks, bubbles like crazy. Except when it doesn't. Bubble I mean.

yes that is what I did for sure, not acceptable? ive done this several times before with plenty of success? thanks for the help guys, dont know what I would do without this forum.

if i do have a leak in the airlock and thats why it was or isnt bubbling (still havent been able to ask SWMBO if it is bubbling again now?), is this considered an open fermentation? and if so do people still do this? and should i have any concerns about this or do anything special?

It's not really open fermentation, because the leak is probably so small it's not an issue. If there's positive pressure from the yeast excreting CO2, no bugs are gonna fly in there, and even if they did, the yeast have such a headstart no bacteria (other than an ethanol-vore) would be able to do much anyways.

I would seriously... wait for it..... keep waiting.......... ok... wait a bit more.... ok.... now:

R. DW. HAHB. :fro:

(We've all been the anxious brewer before. It'll be fine. Seriously, relax!)

if i do have a leak in the airlock and thats why it was or isnt bubbling (still havent been able to ask SWMBO if it is bubbling again now?), is this considered an open fermentation? and if so do people still do this? and should i have any concerns about this or do anything special?

DON'T PANIC!!!!

SERIOUSLY. YOUR BEER IS IN THE VERY CAPABLE HANDS OF THE YEASTIE BEASTIES. THEY KNOW WHAT TO DO. IN YEAST WE TRUST.

We have all been where you are right now, wondering, worrying...we are trying to give you the benefit of our positive experiences. Notice no one is posting any "Oh yeah, I did that thing you did exactly and my beer was totally ruined" responses... Why? Because screwed up beer is rare. IF someone did post something along those lines, folks like Revvy, Justibone, and myself would jump in and say "You dumped too soon then my friend, sorry you were so impatient."

Listen to your brewing friends and... wait for it...

RDWHAHB :D

yah just hard being out of town to not keep a watchful eye till it was doing what i knew it should be, i usually am very patient and usually forget about my beer till its ready to rack or bottle.

got home tonight and took a gravity reading, 1015, beertools said it was finishing at 1016 so im happy with that thats for sure, guess it was just done for the most part when i installed the blow off?? anyway looking forward to getting into this beer the fermentor smelled awesome! although i think im gonna leave it in primary for at least ten more days as this beer is only three days old right now! thinking about adding some gelatin to clear it up in a few days anyone think thats a bad idea? i mean the beer right now is as murky as the mississippi!

Of course it is murky. At three days, it is still very much alive and kicking. The longer it sits - in primary, secondary or bottles, the more stuff will settle out. Everything is on track and on schedule. The heavy chunks will fall to the bottom. Plenty of yeast remains in suspension to do the work. Don't worry about gelatin. Just keep moving forward with patience and you will be rewarded.

You put a bunch of pumpkin in too...

What was the OG? A big porter w/ adjuncts is going to need time.

Leave it in the primary for a month and check it. If you think it needs more time, put it in a secondary for a couple of weeks.

since its finished doing its thing for the most part, think i should park it in the fridge and cold crash it? (i have a fridge in my garage i can get to stay at almost exactly 50F) Also is it important to leave it in primary for at least two wks, I mean its done (reached my estimated FG) at least as far as my calculations go it is?

Leave it a little warm if you want to get rid of diacetyl. I'd say a bit more warm-time, maybe a week, then cold condition it.

That's just a stranger's opinion, though... you're the brewer!

You put a bunch of pumpkin in too...

What was the OG? A big porter w/ adjuncts is going to need time.

Leave it in the primary for a month and check it. If you think it needs more time, put it in a secondary for a couple of weeks.

1072 @ 70F, if this was your beer what would you use for a schedule for getting this beer ready?

Leave it a little warm if you want to get rid of diacetyl. I'd say a bit more warm-time, maybe a week, then cold condition it.

That's just a stranger's opinion, though... you're the brewer!

hate to say this but could you explain this taste/smell so i know what your talking about?

Leave it alone for a month from brew date. Active fermentation is not the only thing the yeastie beasties do...they need time to clean up the byproducts of fermentation.

At the end of a month (3 weeks minimum if you just cant wait for it) THEN cold crash it to drop as much as you can out of suspension. Take a sample then and if you like it, bottle it. If you think it would benefit from more time, secondary it for a week or two (or however long you want!)

i will do it, thanks for the advice ill leave it be for at least 3 wks than cold crash, gelatin if needed when i cold crash in glass, than bottle! thanks guys!

Gelatin will strip alot of the pumpkin flavor out of your beer. Its the cloudy pumpkin particles that are going to give you a good pumkin flavor. In my opinion, becuase I am in no way an exspert, gelatin clears beer by globbing on to larger particles and pulling them down. Also, have you thought about adding some pumkin pie spices to your pumpkin beer? I just would worry more about acheiveing a good tasteing pumkin beer verses a clear beer. But again this is just my 2 cents.

Back