Should I be worried about this batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beehemel

Reaction score
Two weeks ago I brewed my Imperial Red. The OG was 1.090 and I made a starter of Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale yeast (average attenuation 71-75%). I didn't put a blow off tube on it because I brewed it at a friends house and I didn't think of using one, so it blew the top off the bucket sometime Monday while he was at work. We don't know how long the lid was off the bucket, but he said the hops were dried on the bottom of the lid when he got to it. He sanitized everything and rigged up a blow off, and it started happily bubbling away again. I racked to secondary on Sunday (after two weeks) and it tasted ok, but the FG was lower than I expected it to be. I was expecting about 1.023 to 1.025 (based on brewtarget calculations) and ended up with 1.020 which is 77.77% attenuation. I'm guessing it's going to be fine because it tasted good, and I know, RDWHAHB, but I guess I need some other opinions on it.

I'd say the lower attenuation could just be that you mashed a touch lower, if I recall, the higher the mash, the sweeter the final wort and the less attenuation you get. But if you mash a little lower, you get a dryer finish and more attenuation. You may have also just had more healthy yeast. Another common thing I've read here and elsewhere is that during active fermentation its really hard to get bugs in the beer that will win. Many brewers do open fermentation where they leave a top totally OFF the fermentation chamber, and just keep the room clean. Its after or before fermentation that the bugs can creep in and cause issues. If its tasting fine, like boo boo said, its likely still fine, and nothing to worry about. Remember, yeasties are living things and don't always peform they way everyone says they will. This just means that you'll have some randomness to the fermentation process... but the more controlled your environment the less possible the variations will be noticeable.

The positive pressure kept your beer safe from O2. The low attentuation might be because you lost a bunch of yeast in the blowoff (i'm assuming it was an ale). In my most recent batch I had enough yeast in the blowoff jar to fill a vial. I had pitched an active 2L starter though so it finished nicely at 1.010.

I just bottled this on Sunday, the gravity finished at 1.017 after three weeks of dry hopping (It was 1.020 when I transferred it). I was a little worried when I racked it, because it was a bitter boozey mess, but the dry hop has evened it out quite a bit. Looking forward to drinking this once it carbs up!

Back