Should I be happy or slightly ill...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buford

Reaction score
... for just plunking down the entirety of what I got for an Xmas bonus this year on completely overhauling my brewing system. I'm torn between "SUPER AWESOME" and "crushing guilt". The move to Better Bottles, replacing a plain old pot with a Boilermaker, getting a Therminator and a March pump, moving up to a 10 gallon cooler for a mash tun, I'm stepping up my game and blinging this stuff out. I haven't brewed in 6 months at least, and this should certainly get my lazy a$$ in gear.

Hopefully the equipment when it arrives will possess enough shiny factor to stave off the nagging hole in my bank account :eek:

I say, if you don't feel at least a slight pang of guilt you didn't spend enough! If you're not sure, there is still time to go back and drop a few more c-notes! Don't forget to post some pics back when you get the new shiny stuff in :D.

I say you did good... if the following are met:

#1 You or SWMBO have a stable job that pays the bills
#2 You have an emergency fund of say... 6-12 months of expenses

If you have that, then spend away!

I admittedly do NOT spend what I could, or maybe should... but I am a child of a dairy farmer where every scrap of food came at the expense of blood, sweat and arthritis literally. I think my rig has plenty of BLING factor now, but I need more ingredients.

You will love the 10 gallon cooler for MLT... but, I am biased about coolers.

BEAUTIFULHerms.jpg

In addition to what the others said, if you didn't buy all that and still wish you had just one more thing- then you're not a "real" brewer!

Seriously, if you can afford it, no guilt allowed! I'm super careful with my money, and never buy clothes for myself except at thrift stores. So, if I buy something that I really want, there is no guilt.

Now, get brewing!!!!

When you get all that set up and brew on it for the first time, I'm sure you'll feel much better about it. ;)

Thanks for spending and helping the economy.

Buford is a PATRIOT!

*chuckle*

Pol brings up good points, the big downer.

Now that you've spent the $$$$, make good use of it. If 6 months from now you look at the stuff you bought and only brewed 1 batch, then you should feel ill. ;)

What Hoss said. I just plunked down a couple hunned bucks on a march pump and the related pieces and parts necessary to turn my plain old aluminum kettle into JZ's whirlpool IC system. I'm stoked. And when B3 screwed me on the weldless bulkhead (showed up as being in stock, but it wasn't), a fellow forum member up in Canadia was awesome enough to offer to send me nearly all the parts for the weldless spigot (all I need to do is find the locknut at lowes) for FREE. So hopefully within a couple weeks, I'll have her up and running. Almost spent the dough on the shirron plate chiller, but decided agin it after talking about it with people and seeing how easy (and cheap) the Whirlpool Immersion setup was. Fuk, I can't wait to try it all out! Buford, don't feel guilty, dude...you can't take that cash with you when you die anyway ;)

Back