should i be concerned?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naz420

Reaction score
I brewed up a stout a bout and after 9 days i moved it from primary to secondary. Since i transfered it yesterday I have not seen any action at all i the air lock. Could this be a problem with oxygen remaining in the secondary?

No. That's pretty standard. A fast, vigorous primary fermentation will lead to practically no airlock activity in the secondary. Wait a couple weeks, and when the gravity levels out consistently, you can bottle and keg. Someone will eventually chime in and say don't bother doing a secondary...

I dont think so but 9 days seems a little early to go to the secondary. Was the yeast done? did it hit final gravity?

You gotta remember this is the beginner's thread. I think he's doing a standard 1 week primary, 2 weeks secondary, 3 weeks bottling - as opposed to a full primary and only using secondary for dry-hopping or fruit addition as is promoted so much on HBT. 9 days would really put him 2 days over that standard...He's likely right on-track IMO.

The OG was at 1.061. Last thursday it was at 1.024 and when I moved it to the secondary yesterday it was still at 1.024

Sounds good. I'd personally let it sit longer. I'm a 3-4 week kinda guy on the primary, as long as she levels out. You're on track, don't sweat it.

Your good. Airlock activity is not a measurement of yeast activity. That hydro reading of 1.024 looks good for a 9 day primary. Let it sit in the secondary for a few weeks and then bottle it up. I usually go a 4 week primary for my stout and then let it sit in the keg for a week or two.

Back