Should I add or change my dry hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khkman22

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing the extract AHS Anniversary IPA (AHS Anniversary IPA), but I was thinking about adding/changing the dry hops and maybe the 5 minute flavor/aroma hops. I emailed AHS and they wouldn't tell me amounts of hops, but the Summit hops are added at 60 minutes and the Zythos at 15 minutes with the Palisades being the dry hops. I am guessing the amounts are likely 1/2/1 or 1.5/1/1 oz additions.

I was thinking of adding Cascade or Amarillo hops for dry hopping and possibly at 5 minutes for additional flavoring. Would you recommend this, or would they possibly negate or clash with either the Zythos or Palisades flavors or aromas? If you think I should try adding one, which hop would it be and how much? Would adding an ounce of each be a terrible idea? If I do that or add 2 oz of one, should I change the Palisades addition? I just made Midwest's Amarillo Pale Ale and added 1 oz of Cascade to dry hop (not part of recipe). I like its flavor, but being only my second batch, I can't tell which flavor is coming through most.

Not sure how the zythos and palasides which is earthy, grassy, piney style hops would go with the citrus floral of the cascade and Amarillo ....personally love Amarillo as a dry hop but might have conflicting aromas and flavors with the main hops...but part of brewing is experimenting and see how it comes out

Hmmmm....Not sure how those hops would go to together....zythos and palasides are in the earthy, grassy, piney category .....cascade and Amarillo are citrusy and floral....but part of brewing is experimenting

Back