Should I add nutrients or an energizer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FungusBrew

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was thinking about making this recipe I found in the March/April edition of Zymurgy. My only concern is it seems to be lacking yeast nutrients, or an energizer of some sort. The author claims it's ready to drink in 3 months.

1 lb fresh whole sassafras roots
1.5oz rose hips
15 lbs orange blossom honey
two packets of Lalvin D47 yeast

Any thoughts? Hopefully I'm not violating any copyright issues :D.

Thanks!

Hi guys,

I was thinking about making this recipe I found in the March/April edition of Zymurgy. My only concern is it seems to be lacking yeast nutrients, or an energizer of some sort. The author claims it's ready to drink in 3 months.

1 lb fresh whole sassafras roots
1.5oz rose hips
15 lbs orange blossom honey
two packets of Lalvin D47 yeast

Any thoughts? Hopefully I'm not violating any copyright issues :D.

Thanks!

I'd probably go with a reduced amount i.e. if it's 1 tsp per gallon then I'd go with 1/2 or 1/4 tsp (of nutrient), say 1/2 too start with, then either at the 1/3 or 1/2 sugar break, go with 1/4 of the dose of nutrient and 1/2 the dose of energiser. That should be enough so that if the sassafras root and rose hips do provide enough nutrient not to affect it taste-wise, but probably help it all on it's way and prevent any problems.

Oh and I'd also be aerating daily to the time when you're adding the second dose (nutrient with energiser), then airlock it and let it finish.....

regards

fatbloke

I'd energize/nutrient it. I'd follow Ken Schramm's staggered nutrient addition protocol.

Back