Should I Add Honey to Cascade APA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schweaty

Doe Re Mi Beer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Did the AG Cascade APA last night, mashed @ 154. Gravity into boil was 1.040 @ 7 gallons. Boiled off 1 gallon and ended with 5.5 gallons @ 1.045. I was shooting more for the 1.050 range so that I could get ABV of 5+. IBU @ 33.8. So I'm asking anyone, should I add 1# of honey? Fermentation has been going for not even a day, so I should probably decide by tomorrow night if I'm going to do this or not. From what I've read two or three days into fermentation is a good time to add honey. I know that it will decrease the body but I was low on my OG so I don't think it should make too much of a difference should it? I really want to get the ABV above 5% and I think the 1# of honey should do that, right?

I would not add honey at this stage. A 1045 APA will be a nice beer. How were you planning on adding the honey? If you plan on just adding one pound, it may/will add potential infections that will not help you at all. I do not recommend ever boiling honey, but you should add that at the end of the boil and make sure it has time to "pasturize."

Bottom line, I would not add honey. Enjoy what you have brewed as is.

Mike

Back