Should I add crystal to my RyePA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBBaron

Reaction score
I am planning a Rye based IPA using 2# of flaked rye. All of the commercial IPAs I have preferred have been more amber colored with plenty of malt background. I have not like the paler versions as well. I really like the Hop Rod RyePA and I'm trying to get something similar but not necessarily a clone.

So here is what I currently have.

Recipe: Amber Rye PA
Brewer: CBBaron
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Boil Size: 6.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.068 SG
Estimated Color: 12.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 70.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
8 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 68.00 %
2 lbs Rye, Flaked (2.0 SRM) Grain 16.00 %
1 lbs Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 8.00 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 4.00 %
8.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4.00 %
0.66 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 34.9 IBU
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (30 min) (Hops 16.0 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [6.00 %] (12 min) Hops 2.9 IBU
0.66 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (12 min) Hops 9.3 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [6.00 %] (2 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
0.66 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (2 min) Hops 5.8 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham Yeast (Lallemand #-) Yeast-Ale

My question is should I add 1/2 or 3/4 pound of crystal40 to the recipe for body and sweetness?

Most IPA recipes seem to have some lighter crystal or carapils but I was worried it would muddy up the flavors such that the Rye is less noticed. One of my favorite beers I have made was an big amber ale that went over board when my efficiency was 15% better than expected. That recipe had 1.5# of crystal which is why I am undecided on leaving it out.

Any opinions? Experience with making Rye IPAs?

Craig

I can't claim much experience formulating IPA recipes. I've only made one AG IPA so far (#13 Triple Threat IPA). It was 95% U.S. Pale and 5% Crystal40. About 70 IBUs, with lots of late hop additions. Very KISS. I like it a lot. I've been thinking about adding 5% Munich to my next one a'la Jamil.

In your case, I'd drop the Crystal120 and the Victory, and add the Crystal40. The Crystal120 seems too dark for an IPA, and I feel like the Victory would get lost in the Munich you have in there, especially since you are using UK pale malt as the base.

Keep the Rye, of course.

I think that would make a nice beer.

Beerthoven said:
I can't claim much experience formulating IPA recipes. I've only made one AG IPA so far (#13 Triple Threat IPA). It was 95% U.S. Pale and 5% Crystal40. About 70 IBUs, with lots of late hop additions. Very KISS. I like it a lot. I've been thinking about adding 5% Munich to my next one a'la Jamil.

In your case, I'd drop the Crystal120 and the Victory, and add the Crystal40. The Crystal120 seems too dark for an IPA, and I feel like the Victory would get lost in the Munich you have in there, especially since you are using UK pale malt as the base.

Keep the Rye, of course.

I think that would make a nice beer.
Thanks for pointing out the Victory, Munich and English 2-row. I didn't realize I had all 3 added. I will drop either the Victory or the Munich. I've really like the beers I have made with Victory in the past but maybe Munich would work better here.
I know crystal 120 is a little dark for most IPAs but I prefer more the amber IPAs rather than the pale versions. I think I'll keep the dark crystal for my version. I could see where C40 would be the more appropriate crystal.

Thanks

Craig

Back