Should I add Citra to this IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Reaction score
It will good on its own, but would like to hear opinions on bringing a little Citra to the dance. Here is the current recipe:

11lbs 2 Row
1lbs Munich
1lbs Crystal 15

60 min - 1oz Magnum
20 Mins - .5oz Amarillo + .5oz Simcoe
1 Min - .5oz Amarillo +.5oz Simcoe
Dry Hop - 1oz Amarillo + 1oz Simcoe

Safale US-05

Lagger

Reaction score
Sure. Combine 20 & 1 additions to 15min, move dry-hop additions to zero/hopstand and then dry-hop with 3oz Citra.

Amarillo/simcoe pretty good on its own thou, like you mentioned. Thou I like to error on the side of more hops

OP
T
Reaction score
I'm not opposed to more hops either. I could do the 1oz of Simcoe+Amarillo at 15 then again at knockout. What about a 3oz dry hop with a combo of Citra and Simcoe? Thinking 2oz Simcoe and 1oz Citra.

smokinj

Reaction score
Short answer, YES. As has been said,it'll be good anyway, but better with citra.

Lagger

Reaction score
In that case, I would keep it separate this time around. Go all amarillo/sim & save citra for a later brew. If you're destined to get it in there, then I'd go amarillo/sim 15/10, hopstand with citra & something citrusy like cascade, then dry-hop with amarillo/sim again, nothing big. Otherwise I think the sim pine would overshadow the citra in the nose.

Either way looks tasty! :ban:

OP
T
Reaction score
Not destined to use Citra, but just checked my supplies and it turns out I only have 2oz of Simcoe to play with. For the revised non-citra hop schedule I'm thinking the following:

60min - Magnum
15min - 1oz Simcoe+Amarillo
Knockout - 1oz Simcoe + Amarillo
Dry Hop - 2oz Amarillo

Citra additions would be .5oz at 15 and KO, plus 1oz for dry hop.

miggs3030

Reaction score
I had a pound of citra I used in all different ways. Dry hopping is the best choice for citra, 2nd for bitterness, 3rd aroma but I believe 1st and 2nd are the best choices. My favorite thing to do with citra is a double dry hop 7-10 days in the fermenter than at least 3oz in the keg til it's kicked.

lstrowge

Born Texan living (trapped) in Washington state
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
That hop schedule is almost identical to my "Big SAC IPA" I brewed last year only I added .5 oz Citra for each addition plus I dry hopped with .5oz ea of Citra and Amarillo, I even used Magnum for FWH. I huge hit for the summer BBQ, great beer and will be brewing it again soon.