Should I add Citra to this IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It will good on its own, but would like to hear opinions on bringing a little Citra to the dance. Here is the current recipe:

11lbs 2 Row
1lbs Munich
1lbs Crystal 15

60 min - 1oz Magnum
20 Mins - .5oz Amarillo + .5oz Simcoe
1 Min - .5oz Amarillo +.5oz Simcoe
Dry Hop - 1oz Amarillo + 1oz Simcoe

Safale US-05

Sure. Combine 20 & 1 additions to 15min, move dry-hop additions to zero/hopstand and then dry-hop with 3oz Citra.

Amarillo/simcoe pretty good on its own thou, like you mentioned. Thou I like to error on the side of more hops

I'm not opposed to more hops either. I could do the 1oz of Simcoe+Amarillo at 15 then again at knockout. What about a 3oz dry hop with a combo of Citra and Simcoe? Thinking 2oz Simcoe and 1oz Citra.

In that case, I would keep it separate this time around. Go all amarillo/sim & save citra for a later brew. If you're destined to get it in there, then I'd go amarillo/sim 15/10, hopstand with citra & something citrusy like cascade, then dry-hop with amarillo/sim again, nothing big. Otherwise I think the sim pine would overshadow the citra in the nose.

Either way looks tasty! :ban:

Not destined to use Citra, but just checked my supplies and it turns out I only have 2oz of Simcoe to play with. For the revised non-citra hop schedule I'm thinking the following:

60min - Magnum
15min - 1oz Simcoe+Amarillo
Knockout - 1oz Simcoe + Amarillo
Dry Hop - 2oz Amarillo

Citra additions would be .5oz at 15 and KO, plus 1oz for dry hop.

I had a pound of citra I used in all different ways. Dry hopping is the best choice for citra, 2nd for bitterness, 3rd aroma but I believe 1st and 2nd are the best choices. My favorite thing to do with citra is a double dry hop 7-10 days in the fermenter than at least 3oz in the keg til it's kicked.

That hop schedule is almost identical to my "Big SAC IPA" I brewed last year only I added .5 oz Citra for each addition plus I dry hopped with .5oz ea of Citra and Amarillo, I even used Magnum for FWH. I huge hit for the summer BBQ, great beer and will be brewing it again soon.

Latest posts

Back