Should I add anything else to this Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasterColin

Reaction score
Picked up a kit online for a Ale. Ingredients provided are:

9lb Pale Ale Malt
1/2lb Crystal 40L
1/2lb Cara Pils Malt
1/2lb Munich Malt

1 1/2 oz Cluster 60min
1/2oz cluster 15min
1oz cascade 5min

I'm going to the brew store this afternoon to pick up some yeast and a SS Spoon. Any thing I should add to this? I can't really take anything out besides hops because its all mill'ed together. I have 3/4lb of Munich left to use and 8oz of Northern Brewer Hops I can use. Otherwise I can pick anything else up at the HBS.

Target OG 1.052
Target FG 1.01

I'm just worried that its a little boring. Also any mashing suggestions would be helpful (Batch).
Things I don't want: Fruit

Should be a pretty good pale ale. Since you already got it, I'd throw in the extra munich and dry hop with an oz of NB. If you want to buy something, you could get something like 1/4-1/2 lb of victory or special roast and/or an oz of hops (centennial, cascade, amarillo, simcoe, etc) to dry hop with. What yeast you thinking?

I would just brew it as it, perhaps with a dry hop. Otherwise, you should be good to go.

Yeah I think i'll throw the munich in it. and Dry hop with a oz of NB.

I picked up an extra lb of Pale because my efficiency tends to be bad and I like a little stronger beers.

I also have some Roasted Barley (.9lb) but I don't know that it would fit into this at all unless I wanted to darken it up. Yeast, I went with a SafeAle US-05 (Matches up with a Wyeast 1056)

Edit: So really should I add some Roasted Barley?

It would turn it from a pale ale into something that is not a pale ale. It would be like a light stout, or possibly a roasty brown. I wouldn't put it in there, it really has no place in a pale ale in my opinion.

Back