Shortest Bulk Age?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinkothecarp

Reaction score
I'm doing a Brunello wine kit, and I want to get it bottled (where it'll sit for 2+ years) quickly. What are the advantages of bulk ageing and how fast can I get it bottled? I don't have a lot of space for a fermenter to be sitting around for 2 years, as my house doesn't even have a closet. Imagine a poor college kid in a 400 sq ft barn/house/thing. I do have a wine rack with 60 bottle space.

I find it takes a lot less room to store a 5-gallon carboy than 25 bottles of wine. However, you really don't need to bulk age at all. After you've stabilized and degassed, it can go right into the bottle, especially if it's a deep red that doesn't require crystal clarity - though I'd personally wait at least a couple of weeks before bottling.

Agreed. No need to "bulk age", just age. Especially with a red. White wines are normally bulk aged to allow everything to drop out for crystal clear appearance. You're not concerned with that with a red. Just make sure that your hydro readings are stable, wine is degassed, and you're good to go.

Back