Short starter vs No starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyg

Reaction score
I usually try to make a starter 24-48 hours before any brew.
I used to pitch my Yeast dry (when using dry yeast), but my LHBS talked me into making a starter.
Since that time I notice my beers ferment better & taste better (that could just be in my mind).
Anyway I totally dropped the ball on making a starter.
I have to pitch my Yeast this evening at 8 tonight.

Are there any benefits or drawbacks to making a starter that will only grow for 6 hours.

I am using S-05 for a low 5.3% abv?

Or should I just pitch dry?

First of I would say whether or not you need a starter depends upon the OG of your beer. To make a starter with dry yeast you need to rehydrate the yeast first. This basically turns the dry yeast into liquid yeast. Don't use RO or distilled water to rehydrate.

A 500 ml vitality starter that begins to ferment before pitching into the wort works very well. Four to six hours may be enough time for the yeast to begin fermenting the starter wort.

Edit: Aerate the wort to maximum and ferment at room temperature.

Given the huge amount of cells in a dry yeast pack, there's no need to make a starter, and if you were, given the large cell density, it has to be 4-5 liters minimum, to see sufficient growth.

Whipping up a vitality starter a la Brulosopher may or may not help. But the yeast should be properly rehydrated first before adding the wort.

Rehydrating dry yeast is most beneficial following the manufacturer's instructions as closely as possible.

After sprinkling the dry yeast on top of the half pint of warm water and letting it rehydrate itself for 15-30 minutes. They still mention to "[g]ently stir for 30 minutes," which must be something that got lost in translation. Just stir until homogenous, and pitch. Important: don't let it sit in that glass measuring cup or jar for longer than half an hour, it starts losing viability.

P.S., when re-hydrating the dry yeast, cover the jar with sanitized plastic wrap, to prevent infections. Needless to say, use good sanitation on anything touching your wort and yeast.

After pitching, aerate (large whisk!) or oxygenate well.

Last edited:
Rehydrate per directions and brew on.
Have fun. I wish I was brewing today.

I have to pitch my Yeast this evening at 8 tonight.

Why the rush? I've known people who delay yeast pitching for several reasons. Ran out of time before going to work, using no-chill method, waiting for the temperature to stabilize exactly where they want it, etc.

It is best to pitch as soon as wort is cool and in fermenter, but you can wait if you need to.

I've made small starters for dry yeast where I only gave them 6-8 hours growth, but I didn't pitch the entire packet into the starter wort, I just eyeballed it and it seemed to work out ok.

With your beer only being of moderate strength, and assuming it is only 5 gallons, you should be fine just rehydrating the yeast for 10 minutes before pitching.

Back