short burner worries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewshki

Reaction score
i am moving to 5 gallon full boil batches, I have bought a ten gallon brew kettle, and a very pretty wort chiller and now just need an outdoor propane burner. the rental i just moved into has tiny electric burners. i don't like electric anyways without having the worry about scorching the malt extract. I was originally going to order very cheap ($40) burner off of amazon but then realized how short it really is. I do not have a pump and was planning on simply using gravity to transfer my cooled wort into my carboy. My other easy option is the roughly $100 burner that More Beer sells (i have a retails store nearby). the good part about it is that the extendable legs bring it up to almost 2 ft high. am I being too paranoid about this decision? any advice would be much appreciated.

also, this forum is awesome and has done a lot to help me along. Home brewing has provided me a hobby that really helps sooth the soul!

Been there. I used to set a 20"x20" patio paver on a Workmate, then the burner with the kettle on top.

Freaked the wife out enough that proposing a single tier build was a piece o' cake :rockin:

Cheers! ;)

Get the short one if you can find something to put it on, it ends up being more versatile. If not, get the tall one.

interesting. how logical to set it on something haha. now i need to see if i can go pick up a shorter burner tomorrow. I really wanted to brew tomorrow and so far the only burner I can find to pick up is the more beer one.

I brew 5 gal batches on a short burner in a 15 gal BK. I just cool the wort, and then lift the BK up on a nearby table for draining. Weight is similar to a full glass carboy, about 60 - 70 lbs depending on actual wort volume and weight of the BK. If that's too much for you to feel comfortable lifting, then put the burner up higher, or get one with leg extensions.

Brew on :mug:

Back