Short Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwashko

Reaction score
So I just finished my first all grain brew. Might be the most fun I've ever had. But there's a good chance I made a mistake. I was using a recipe from a book that focuses on extract recipes with some side notes to convert them to all grain. when I boiled my wort I followed the extract recipe which calls for 60 min worth of boiling. upon review I saw they actually called for 105 min boil for the all grain version.

Can anybody tell me why there would be a difference in time and if I've made a big enough error to cost me a batch of beer?

Thanks in advance!

Time probably had to do with total volume and the need to boil it down. Nothing really to worry about if you hadn't planned to do so. Did you check you gravity by any chance?

The gravity was 1.065, supposed to be 1.067 so I wasn't at all concerned. Thanks for the feedback, takes a load off my mind.

Yeah, you seem golden. Now just wait 3-4 weeks before doing anything else.

If you mash includes a high percentage of very pale pilsner malt you will want to do a longer boil. Pilsner malt has a lot of precursors for DMS and the longer boil will drive them off.

Yeah, you seem golden. Now just wait 3-4 weeks before doing anything else.

Don't tell a new brewer not to do anything else for 3 to 4 weeks. You'll drive 'em nuts! :rockin:

Instead, you congratulate them on their success and encourage them to get another fermenter so they can do it again before they forget how they did it! :ban::ban:

Back