Shopping tommorrow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jagg

Reaction score
Ok guys, Im going full throttle tommorrow, Im going to get my Grain mill a 55# sack of barley and all the good stuff to do my first AG, Im almost fully set up, Im planning on doing Edworts Haus Pale first, what kind of base grain should I get, something for several type beers, and specialty grains? I have been waiting on this day for quite a while (Im soooo stoked) give me some suggestions please, I will be rising at 02:30 inthe morning, so all replies before then will be appreciated, thanks to all that have aswered my many questions here, fire away.

If you're planning on mostly American ales, I'd go with whatever the cheapest American 2-row is. We've had discussions on Rahr vs. Briess, but I don't know if anyone can prove to me that one is noticeably better than the other. If you're planning more British style ales, Maris Otter is a good base malt. I use both, because they both have uses.

As far as specialty grains, that also depends on your planned recipes. Consider the next 5 batches you're planning, and pick a specialty grain that you'll use in most or all of them. Otherwise, it's easy to just pick those up as you need them. I like to use Carapils in many of my beers, to aid in head retention, so that is one to consider if you're likely to use that. I don't like wheat beers, but lots of people use a pound or two of wheat malt in their beers, which also aids in head retention.

Good luck with your first AG batch. Edwort's recipe is a good one! :mug:

I use a 50# bag of Briess 2-row pale ale malt for all my styles. I know that I should use Marris Otter for English, Pilsner for lagers, etc., but my beers taste fine to me. For a mill, definitely get one that can be powered by a drill. I have a CrankandStein, 3 roller mill and it works great. Crystal malt, Aromatic, CaraPils, Special B, Special Roast, a bit of Munich or Victory are the common specialty malts that I use. You can also use Vienna and Munich as base malts for the bocks.

Wow, congrats on the big day... I'm jealous and hope to be making those same purchases soon myself.

Everyone has their own opinion on what the best base malt is. Some swear by using MO for everything, some Golden Promise. I've had pretty good luck so far just using $1.40/lb 2-row from AHS.

As for specialty malts it's obviously going to depend on the styles that you brew most often. IMO, some malts that are always handy to have around are a couple different shades of Crystal, some roasted barley, a little bit of black patent, Munich, Vienna and Victory.

Latest posts

Back