Shocked Bry-97?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdaddybrew

Reaction score
One packet of Danstar Bry-97 expired 2 months ago but kept in the fridge.
100 ml of my soft brewing water boiled and cooled to 90F.
Sprinkled packet on to water waited 15 minutes.
Swirled gently to mix, added 2oz of 62f wort a little at a time to equalize temp.
Usually the yeast starts foaming within 15 minutes or so but it didn't do anything. Flat.

30 minutes later, nothing. So I went and bought a fresh packet and followed the same procedure. It showed a little life but didn't really foam up but I pitched it anyway into 4 gallons of wort (1.062 at 62f) low end for this yeast.

This procedure has worked many times with various dry yeasts including a packet of BRY-97 a few months ago. I aerate my wort and usually have foaming and air lock activity within 12 hrs. I have nothing after 18 hrs.

This is a little higher gravity than my usual wort of 1.045-1.055.
I bought the packets at different stores.

I gave it a swirl and moved it to a warmer room. I will wait 48 hrs and then I will add a packet of standard Muntons which is my back up yeast.

Is it the higher gravity causing the lag?
I usually pitch a little warmer say 64-66f.
Is BRY-97 more temp sensitive? Did I shock it?
Any thoughts on my re-hydration procedure?

That's standard behavior for Bry-97. You'll probably see the start of krausen at 36-48 hours from a rehydrated dry yeast pitch. Once I started top-cropping Bry-97, I'd get krausen within 18 hours. I've moved on to a different yeast now, but I brewed 6 beers with Bry, 2 rehydrated yeast pitches, then top-cropped 3 more. Dry pitches always took 36-48 to start, harvested pitches always took ~18 hours to start.

You called it Wrinkletusk. I awoke today to light foaming and airlock activity, 32hrs after pitching. I bet the first packet I thought was dead was just lagging.

Previously I had used BRY-97 with a faster start than this. I think two things slowed the yeast. A low end wort temp of 62f. The other thing I realized is that I used mash water that had been acidified with a little citric acid. Perhaps this stunted the yeast. Anyway it is now fermenting.

Perhaps it's just the normal slow start of the BRY-97 but I will alter my re-hydration procedure. I will pitch a bit warmer and I won't use acidified water. I will also take a little more time cooling the re-hydrated yeast to pitching temp. I really like a quick start. Unless I'm really impressed with the flavor from the BRY-97 it won't be my go to yeast.

Back