Shock Top?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shadows69 said:
Anyone have a clone recipe for Shock Top? It's a Belgian White wheat ale has citrus peels and coriander in it. Reminds me of a sweeter version of Blue Moon. Thanks in advance.:rockin:
http://www.shocktopbeer.com

You mean budweiser wit? Nope. Just look for a wit recipe and sweeten it up a little.

shadows69 said:
By chance can you point me to a link?

Kinda hard as I don't have access to a pc at the moment, im using my phone at work. there is a whole section of this forum devoted to recipes. Start there.

Anyone have a clone recipe for Shock Top? It's a Belgian White wheat ale has citrus peels and coriander in it. Reminds me of a sweeter version of Blue Moon. Thanks in advance.:rockin:
http://www.shocktopbeer.com

I've had Shock Top once or twice and I've had Blue Moon many times and I couldn't really tell the difference. I've never tasted them side by side mind you so its possibly Shock Top is sweeter.
I've made a Blue Moon Clone several times and unless they are considerably different in flavor I think you'll get what you're looking for with it, it was designed after reading the Blue Moon Clone thread in this section.

Blue Moon Clone
5.5 Gallon Batch at 80% Efficiency
4.5 lbs 2-row
4.5 lbs Wheat Malt
1.0 lb Flaked Oats
1.5 oz Hallertauer hops at 60 min
1 oz crushed Coriander at 15 mins
1.5 oz sweet orange peel at 15 mins
1 whirfloc tablet
S-05 Yeast

OG: 1.049
FG: 1.011
ABV: 4.98%

Simple recipe 45:45 split of Wheat to 2-row is standard, the 10% oats add a nice mouthfeel to the beer. Just a touch of bittering hops with no aroma hops to keep it fairly mellow, the key flavors are the coriander and orange peel that goes in with 15 minutes to boil. Any clean fermenting yeast will do (s-04, s-05 nottingham etc.) I don't really detect any yeast flavor in either of those beers the main flavor is the orange and coriander. Don't use a Belgian Wit or any other flavorful yeast unless you want the flavors those yeasts are known for giving off.

Thank you very much I will try it out as soon as I drink some of my homemade brew and get some bottles opened up. I really need a kegging system. Hoping that will happen soon.

I used to buy the Shock-Top clone from "Barley&Vine" out of Georgia.

The extract kit comes with only 1 pound of grains and 5 pounds of dry DME. It doesn't taste that great and has a higher bitterness than the bottled ShockTop that you could buy from the store.

The Austin Home Brewer site has Blue Moon Clone that has 5 pounds of grain with 5 pounds of liquid extract for actually less money. I brewed it once and it was better than the bottled Blue Moon.

Sure, you can cut the Blue Moon honey out and throw in more bitter and sweet orange peel and corriander if you want to change it.

BTW... don't listen to my advice too much - I've been up drinking the Blue Moon action and my best friend cat has just been diagnosed with CKD.

Back