Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djdoubleb

Reaction score
I'm looking for a clone recipe for the Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat. It is a wit beer which I have no experience with. I want to make it for my girlfriend who doesn't the bitterness of most beers but loves Hard Cider. This beer, though very fruity, may get her drinking beer...maybe even my beer!

Anyway, I haven't been able to find much except people saying to just make a Blue Moon clone instead. Any hints or has anyone tried it yet?

Thanks

I don't have a clone recipe but my friend is brewing a light American wheat beer today. He and I were discussing how to make it like the shock top beer you mentioned. We think that if you made the wheat, letting ferment all the way through and the added in honey crisp apple juice (the plan is to juice honey crisp apples for this with a juicer) to back sweeten. We thought since he is kegging it that k meta would be a good additive to ensure it maintains its sweetness.

I am interested in hearing any thoughts on this and I will let you know how it turns out in a few weeks.

So you're adding the juice as an adjunct to the wheat beer when putting in into secondary or letting it complete and putting it in while bottling?

We're talking about adding k meta to knock out the yeast once the beer has completed its fermentation and then as we bottle it add in the honey crisp juice. That way it has the fresh apple flavor. We haven't done it yet just talking about doing it.

We're talking about adding k meta to knock out the yeast once the beer has completed its fermentation and then as we bottle it add in the honey crisp juice. That way it has the fresh apple flavor. We haven't done it yet just talking about doing it.

Ah, I see. I would be curious to see if it adds flavor or just cuts the beer... Please let me know if you try it!

Why not just make some cider instead of something she might not like?

It's on my list for sure but I'm a little stubborn. We've been trying to find some beers she likes recently and are making progress. Leinenkugel Summer Shandy was also a winner for her.

We didn't do it. Call it lack of testicular fortitude or call it brewer's intuition, we just went with a slightly hoppier than normal American style wheat beer. Should be good but it does mean my to brew list just got a little longer.

Back