Shipping to competitions discussion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treacheroustexan

Reaction score
Hey guys, I know there's plenty of threads on shipping homebrew to competitions and what not. I know you're not supposed to ship alcohol blah blah but we all do anyways. My question is, has anyone felt like they were overly harassed when trying to ship? I know they have a job to do and what not, but I never tell them more than I need to. I just shipped my box of entries out. They need to be there tomorrow and my printer ran out of ink so I couldn't buy the shipping at home. My fault for waiting, but whatever. I had to go to UPS and go through the awkward questioning. I told her the box had glass in it when asked and she asked me multiple other times why I was being so secretive and if it has alcohol in it. Then it was really awkward when I kept saying no every time and she saw thirsty dog brewing on the label and me specifically what is it in the box... and then I settled on liquid yeast and paid... Hopefully the box makes it there okay without her throwing it aside and going through it. Damn me and my procrastination.

Do you think I'm screwed?

If they took it, you're probably fine. One pet peeve of mine is always the address and Attn: that competitions require. It's usually some crap like "Attn: 2016 Hoppy Boy Homebrew Competition". Send to "Gus's Homebrew Shop @ yada yada". I find that rather annoying. I always abbreviate the attn: and the name of the business to make it less obvious what I'm shipping. For the previous, I'd send it to attn: 2016 HBHC and the address would be Gus's Shop. The package will get where it's going, and the person I hand it off to won't get antsy about the contents. If I'm asked what's in the box, I usually go with home-made jam or pickles (for some reason, yeast samples sounds ridiculous to me). I drop off my stuff at a nearby fedex shop around noon. They're busy then, and most of the time the clerk sees my box is labelled and good to go, and just asks me to drop it on the counter. I get out without talking to anyone, which works for me.

If they took it, you're probably fine. One pet peeve of mine is always the address and Attn: that competitions require. It's usually some crap like "Attn: 2016 Hoppy Boy Homebrew Competition". Send to "Gus's Homebrew Shop @ yada yada". I find that rather annoying. I always abbreviate the attn: and the name of the business to make it less obvious what I'm shipping. For the previous, I'd send it to attn: 2016 HBHC and the address would be Gus's Shop. The package will get where it's going, and the person I hand it off to won't get antsy about the contents. If I'm asked what's in the box, I usually go with home-made jam or pickles (for some reason, yeast samples sounds ridiculous to me). I drop off my stuff at a nearby fedex shop around noon. They're busy then, and most of the time the clerk sees my box is labelled and good to go, and just asks me to drop it on the counter. I get out without talking to anyone, which works for me.

I agree with the yeast thing. But since she already knew it was going to a brewery it was all I could think of that I read of people using on here.

"Why the **** is this guy sending jelly to a brewery?"

She would have called me out.

Must be different up here in the Great White North. I ship mine plain old Canada Post, and they never ask me what's in it, they just ask if I want extra insurance. Don't ask, don't tell.

I ship mine plain old Canada Post...

Sure would be nice if we could ship USPS. Maybe some day they will realize that shipping homebrew to competitions is not worthy of federal prosecution.

They complain they can't compete and make money, yet they severely restrict what you can ship, make you stand in line endlessly to ask numerous questions and validate the weight to the 1/10 of an ounce. We've had business shipments rejected because the shipping label pushed it to the next ounce.
Sorry, rant over.

[USPS] complain they can't compete and make money, yet they severely restrict what you can ship

I'm not sure that's up to them. ;) Something tells me the government dictates what they can and can't ship. But I agree with the rest of your rant.

We've had business shipments rejected because the shipping label pushed it to the next ounce.

LOL! Sorry, I don't mean to laugh at your misfortune, it's just that that's never occurred to me. "You were good, but once we put the postage on, you were over, so we need another $2.45."

LOL! Sorry, I don't mean to laugh at your misfortune, it's just that that's never occurred to me. "You were good, but once we put the postage on, you were over, so we need another $2.45."

Hmm, good point. They weight it before the postage is applied, but the little sticker matters not. We're printing half sheet labels, and they weight almost .1 oz.

A new guy took over at one of the local post offices, and he goes by the letter of book, as does the one in my town. The other one, we walk in set packages on the counter and walk out, no questions asked and no weight check. But they close earlier.

One that was rejected, 11.0 vs 11.1 ozs, the difference was $0.05. A stupid nickel! Cost them more in labor to reject it than that.

Getting back on the topic, once it's in the system we've never had an issue (but we don't ship beer!).

I'll be shipping to several competitions on Monday via UPS, and since we ship with them daily (pickup), there won't be any questions! Grab and go.

I have sent entries to a few comps now always with UPS. So far no one has ever asked anything about what's in the box. I do write yeast samples on the form they ask to be filled out but that has never even gotten a reaction.

I agree with the yeast thing. But since she already knew it was going to a brewery it was all I could think of that I read of people using on here.

"Why the **** is this guy sending jelly to a brewery?"

She would have called me out.

They asked me once if I was sending beer. I said "no, why would I send beer to a brewery? That doesn't make sense." ;)

Me personally, I send "BBQ sauce". Seems breweris or brewing stores host a lot of BBQ competitions. :p

I send most of mine with my wife. She drops it at a local TV/Computer type store. We make sure we always buy our computer paper, other odds and ends, a cheap TV we needed, etc. from there. Small town - we give them business, I have sent 75-100 boxes through them.... they absolutely have to know what it is - but, don't ask/don't tell I think is the unspoken relationship.

I have sent other places a few times - my wife used to tell them "canned goods/BBQ sauce" type thing - sometimes they pressed on that and she asked for something else to tell them. Told her to say this: "My husband is in field of Biology and is studying on-line about yeast health and propagating yeast. He has to send in samples from time to time for evaluation to make sure he is doing things correctly. I don't really understand it all, but it is something for a class."

She has used it a couple times and she said they were like - "oh - ok."

My place still asks specifically if I'm shipping wine or spirits. But then never ask about beer, so I don't tell them.

I shipped a trade box out a week ago. I have an online FedEx account so usually it's not an issue but it was being screwy that day so I had to take the box into the store to get postage on it. The box was fine and a little bulgy on the sides but homeboy was like "Ehh we might need to repack this," I was like no you do not, if you do I am leaving because I have to go back to work. Then his manager came up and asked what was in it. I wanted to say "None of your gee-damn business," but "clothes and books" was the first thing to come to mind. Suffice to say the box went out and arrived in PA safely. (save for one leaky bottle DAMNIT!)

They asked me once if I was sending beer. I said "no, why would I send beer to a brewery? That doesn't make sense." ;)

Me personally, I send "BBQ sauce". Seems breweris or brewing stores host a lot of BBQ competitions. :p

BBQ Sauce is a good one and i might try that next time. I always say hot sauce or salsa (living in the southwest we have a lot of good hot sauces and salsas and it isn't too far fetched)

Back