Shipping for Contests....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOP-HEAD

Reaction score
How do you all get around the "fragile, perishable, liquid" question when shipping brew for a contest? Just lie and say no so it goes smooth and everything ships fine? Say yes, then play the 20 questions game when they want to know what kind of liquid? Ship with someone else? Who?

How are you shipping? UPS and FedEx are your only options, as it is illegal to ship alcohol via USPS.

Pack them exceedingly well, and when asked say something like 'live yeast samples' or, my favorite, 'homemade BBQ sauce'. :)

Fine Ill be the first to admit it. I use the USPS. I dont ship to comps (yet) but I do ship to friends, via the good old USPS.

Instead of interrogating me under the spotlight at the counter every time I go there, they should be thanking me for using their service instead!! (is it just me or does everyone always have an attitude over there???). Its cheaper, its closer, and its easier than the alternatives. I just say NO when they ask me about fluids.

There, I said it. :eek:

Fine Ill be the first to admit it. I use the USPS. I dont ship to comps (yet) but I do ship to friends, via the good old USPS.

Instead of interrogating me under the spotlight at the counter every time I go there, they should be thanking me for using their service instead!! (is it just me or does everyone always have an attitude over there???). Its cheaper, its closer, and its easier than the alternatives. I just say NO when they ask me about fluids.

good luck!

That's a 'proceed at your own risk' scenario - because it is illegal to ship alcohol via USPS.

How are you shipping? UPS and FedEx are your only options, as it is illegal to ship alcohol via USPS.

Pack them exceedingly well, and when asked say something like 'live yeast samples' or, my favorite, 'homemade BBQ sauce'. :)

It's not alcohol, it's live yeast samples dammit ;)

In that same sense, could you not ship vanilla extract?

I have never shipped beer before, but I came across this website from a post on my HBC's forum.

Links

It seems pretty effective, but I don't know if it is cheaper or better than using the tutorials method. It seems that shipping boxes are also included for the listed price.

I'm sorry, could you please speak a little slower and clearer and repeat that into my cuff link? ;)

I read a site the other day that stated FedEx will only ship alcohol from approved companies now. Basically it said if your bottles break and they realize it's alcohol, they have to get a safety officer involved and treat it similar to a hazmat type of clean up. And it was implied that the cost will then be passed onto the shipper. Just an FYI

I never understood why competition organizers tend to insist on glass bottles - PET bottles are lighter (saves on shipping costs) and MUCH less likely to break.

Well, I can tell you as a newbie to brewing(about 1 year now), I've learned that there are a lot of preconceived notions about our craft. A couple years ago, if someone offered me a beer out of a plastic bottle, I would have probably given it an unjust first impression. I have never seen or used PET bottles and have nothing against them, but glass does add a bit of "class" and tradition to the craft. Probably the same reason that fine dining tends not to serve wine in a box even though it is just as good and sometimes better than some bottled wine.

Back