Shipping Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clayof2day

Reaction score
Hey there,

My sis wants a 6 pack for her birthday and she's in Chicago (I'm in Michigan). I've read a lot about people sending bottles in the mail and I was curious what the best way is.

I'm assuming it's as simple as packing them really well to avoid clanking and breaking. Is that it?

What do you do?

Matt

Although from a recent thread it is yet to be determined who you should place faith in... UPS or Postal... and whatever you do, apparently writing "Fragile" does not do what all of us "normal" people think it should do....

homebrewer_99 said:
It's illegal to mail alcohol via the USPS.:mad:
Yeah, What he said!

Refer to this thread for the straight dope. I'm sure it's also covered in 62 other threads as well. Don't believe anyone that tells you it's legal to ship beer.:(

We starta a FAQ about shipping Yeast samples.

Last time I shipped beer I used FedEx ground, and I'm pretty sure no one even asked what the contents were (I'm trying to remember if they did). I usually say ceramic mugs: the wieght and size would be about right. "Yeast samples" seems so obvious (although the guy at the FedEx desk really copuldn't care less).

UPS is hard on everything. Pack it right and don't declare anything. I have never had a problem.

Chillibeerman said:
UPS is hard on everything. Pack it right and don't declare anything. I have never had a problem.

I agree. My brother used to work for UPS. They would play kickball with the boxes that were marked fragile.

UPS won't ship it if they know it's alcohol, Some states allow it some don't. Nebraska has no restrictions on shipping Alcohol in or out, Oklahoma forbids it completely in or out, even if not for sale, unless you have a licsense.

I believe its actually a felony in some states, but they most likely won't prosecute. They would have to open it to determine if it's alcohol, and they'd need a search warrant to open it. Not too many judges are going to issue a search warrant for a 6-er mailed to your sister. They don't know if it's beer, soda, bottled water, some chemical or anything else. As for them checking, well it's not bloody likely. I have a friend who lives in Sweden who used to send me pot by putting it in a birthday card and mailing it. It's like he always said "Do you honestly think they have time to inspect packages?" Think about how much mail is sent every day. They are not worried about small, non-ticking packages.

Back