Shipping Beer/Wine to be "legalized"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. Surprised there wasn't a bigger lobby from the YSSC (Yeast Samples Stampmaker Coalition).

Not to get into a semantics debate, but the way I understood it that it was not illegal to ship it via UPS or Fedex to most states just against their "policies". But here is the hypocrisy in my opinion.

Source: Beer of the Month Club
http://www.beermonthclub.com/shipping.asp

Beer & Wine Clubs: All shipments are sent from our fulfillment center between the 20th and 25th of each month via Federal Express, UPS, and other Ground services. Please allow 7-10 business days for your shipments to arrive. We currently cannot ship beer or wine to the following states: AK, HI, UT and other areas where prohibited by law.

If cash is not changing hands I don't get how it is illegal.

I remember this being in the news in the last month or two. Glad to see it passed the senate. I wonder if we'll be able to use ye old pony express? 2 day shipping would be cool.

This would in no way affect states that prohibit delivery of alcoholic beverages (we get wine deliveries in IL for relatives who live in IN, where delieveries of alcohol to residential addresses is prohibited). While it is true these states have no control over the USPS, local option still rules alcohol, and I can't imagine any Federal law not accommodating that. You can, of course, simply surreptitiously ship your "malt beverage," but commercial suppliers would still be barred from shipping to those states.

Note: I am not inviting huffing about how backward certain states are, I am pointing out that this is unlikely to bring about any revolution in beverage availability. Not that it's likely anyhow, given current shipping costs.

Given the USPS track record for being able to deliver anything that is breakable...this screams disaster to me....

Not to get into a semantics debate, but the way I understood it that it was not illegal to ship it via UPS or Fedex to most states just against their "policies". But here is the hypocrisy in my opinion.

Source: Beer of the Month Club
http://www.beermonthclub.com/shipping.asp

Beer & Wine Clubs: All shipments are sent from our fulfillment center between the 20th and 25th of each month via Federal Express, UPS, and other Ground services. Please allow 7-10 business days for your shipments to arrive. We currently cannot ship beer or wine to the following states: AK, HI, UT and other areas where prohibited by law.

If cash is not changing hands I don't get how it is illegal.

You are right it has never been illegal to ship beer via UPS or FedEx. It is illegal to ship beer via USPS. The proposed legislation only deals with the US Postal Service. Certain states won't allow delivery to a home address...it has to do with the three tier system and having to buy alcohol through a distributor. Lame....

I have some inside info on this that I'm not at liberty to share. Let's just say that it's a great step forward but there's a long way to go.

I saw this story in the news a while ago, but they worded it differently from the article posted here. The way the news anchor put it, it would be legal for vendors to transport beer and wine through the USPS. It said nothing about private unlicensed individuals...

Again this was just from the HLN news story; I haven't seen the bill myself or anything.

I've been in contact with people working on the bill. It is intended to include homebrewers, but I really can't give any details at this point.

Latest posts

Back