Shipping Beer Laws

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumpsterboy

Reaction score
Does anyone know the best way to ship bottled beer to other people in other states. UPS? USPS? Fed Ex? I want to do some trading with people from other states, but I didn't know the laws or what is the best way to pack it. thanks

From what I understand, the US postal service will not ship alcohol of any kind. It is illegal. Fed-ex and UPS have a policy against it, but it is not illegal for a private company to ship alcohol. So, what they don't know won't hurt them :)

Everyone seems to ignore the following, but its generally illegal to ship consumer-to-consumer. It varies state-to-state, but I think its technically illegal in all states. Its a felony to go into certain states too. So don't get caught. We really need a law that explicitly allows homebrews to be sent for competition, etc.

I work for a wine company and its an enormous pain to get all the permits in order, post bonds, pay taxes, keep track of quantities shipped to each person, etc. Its worse for beer than wine in my experience.

The pesky 21st amendment has a clause that while making alcohol legal again after prohibition, it lets the individual states control interstate commerce. This is different than most products.

Back