Shepherd's Pie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_goodwrench

Reaction score
So, I have been craving me some shepherd's pie for awhile now since I was offended at a local restaurant that made theirs with broccoli! :confused:

I found Gordon Ramsay's recipe online and since I am out of red wine,(SWMBO drinks the crap out of the red wine) I decided to use a cup of my Irish Red Ale. I also added parsnips to it along with the carrots and added HP sauce to the worchestershire sauce. It is in the oven now so I will report back later on how it came out.

sounds wonderful...i'll bet that irish red adds a wonderful flavor!

you need pictures tho. here...a spooky shepherd's pie! :D

SpooktacularShepherdsPie.jpg

Alright, DB....I know, pics or it didn't happen!

We have already finished eating so here is the after pic of the dish:

100_4980.jpg

It was quite good if I do say so myself. The Red Ale definitely added a terrific twist to the sauce along with the HP sauce. My 6 year old daughter wasn't pleased with the parsnips but liked it otherwise.

Oh yeah... as for pairing, I am going with black & tans made with said Irish Red and a Dry Irish Stout. The Stout has aged quite nicely over the past several months but is tragically under carbonated. Rather than suffer through the flat brew and not being one to waste beer, these are dedicated to black & tans.

I had me some BBQ shepherd's pie last night. A BBQ guy sets up shop along my way home each Friday and loves putting his twist on things. I'll quote his description of his version to inspire you even more next time. I ate parsnips for the first time a few weeks ago and think that they would be pretty good in that ramsey recipe you based yours on.

SmokeDaddy said:
What's Barbecue Shepherd's Pie you ask? Well, we'll make up some yummy good smashed tates, seasoned with a little barbecue rub. Then grind up a couple few barely cooked briskets and butts through the course plate on the grinder.

Build up a thick gravy starting with a little roux, garlic, some trinity plus a little red bell and a whole lotta sweet corn. Then for the liquid portion maybe some beef stock, Sam Adams Winter Lager and Smoke Daddy's medium sauce.

Cook the meat down a little in that sauce, mix in a handful of toasted breadcrumbs for a binder and spoon it into a pan.

Top with those aforementioned good smashed tates and bake off in a hot oven.

That does sound awful tasty! Maybe I need to invest in the meat grinder attachment for the old KitchenAid...

As for the parsnips, I would always turn my nose up at them when I was a kid. This past spring, I was in Orchard Park(town south of Buffalo) with a co-worker for some training and we ended up at a corner real Irish Pub for dinner. This place was so authentic, they had photos of hurling teams and autographed hurling sticks hanging on the walls. Of course along with a bunch of Guinness pints ~many of them comped~ I had to have the shepherd's pie and it had parsnips in it. Absolutely loved it!

Back