Shelf life on One Step????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robmee

Reaction score
I mixed up some one step and have it in the fridge, I am wondering how long it will really last. I don't want it too lose effectiveness and spoil the beer when I rack the beer to the secondary.

Thanks

old thread...bump.

Anyone know the answer to this? I'm wondering if I can leave EZclean in my spray bottle and use it to sanitize the hydrometer.

I mixed up some one step and have it in the fridge, I am wondering how long it will really last. I don't want it too lose effectiveness and spoil the beer when I rack the beer to the secondary.

Thanks

Mix a fresh batch for sanitizing the secondary. I use PBW or Oxiclean to clean and StarSan to sanitize. I would not use week old or 10 day old one step solution to sanitize for secondary fermentation. The risk is too great to waste all the time you have invested, not to mention money on ingredients & propane.

I'll reuse starsan over a couple day period of time. I do make a 5 gallon batch with Glacier RO water from my grocery store. It lasts forever and comes in handy without having to mix up a 2.5 gallon batch at times.

agree with Ed Wort. max shelf life of one step is barely 5-6 days.

Star-san, however, lasts weeks and weeks, longer with distilled or RO water. and you can test it with pH strip to know if its still active or not.

Back