Shelf life of milled grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

MrBJones

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How quickly should milled grains be used if shipped and kept in two tied-off intact plastic bags (double bagged)? Does the type of grain make a difference?

Last edited:

Jag75

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I think it's a personal choice. I've kept it for a week before . The longest I'd go would be maybe 2 weeks . Maybe someone here will have more info on longer times.

Sammy86

Still thirsty
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
When my first born came 3 weeks early I left my milled grain for 6 weeks and the beer came out just fine.

while I wouldn't recommend it, I think as long as you keep it as air tight as possible in a cool, dark place you should be fine up to a month.

Kickass

Reaction score
What varieties of grain? I have specialty malt (double bagged) in my fridge that I’ve been using for close to a year. Some will roll their eyes but I’ve seen no ill effects.

Base malt, I wouldn’t go that long but specialty malt, without hesitation.

Miraculix

Reaction score
Had all types of malt hanging around more than a year before brewing, all were fine. Make sure to keep them air tight and you'll be good.

RM-MN

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Heat and moisture are the enemies of milled grain. Store them cool and dry and they will be fine for a long time. Open the bag in Florida summer and they will go bad quick.

Dorri732

Reaction score
In this exbeeriment, they were unable to tell the difference between beer made from grains milled 6 months prior and beer made from fresh milled grains.

CascadesBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Does the type of grain make a difference?
Some place I read that milled specialty grains (or maybe just roasted grains) start to loose flavors faster than milled base grains. It makes some sense to me. They are more like a roasted coffee. I think in general, if something has a stronger smell that is a sign that there a volatiles that are being lost. I suspect that milled grain in a reasonably air tight container will last for quite a while.