Shelf Life of Crushed Grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a bag of crushed grains that have been in my chest freezer since July 1st @ 68F. Yup haven't brewed since then. Anyways, should I get new grains or are they still good? They are grains for a Dead Guy Clone. now I have to locate who I got the recipe from.

Hey, if it's in a chest freezer how is the temp so high? But if it's already crushed I'm not sure it's still good because now oxygen and moisture has definitely gotten into them. If you plan to use grains in your brews that need to be crushed you should invest in a cheap grain mill. You can keep your unmilled grain for a pretty long time.
I'm sure other people will comment and give you much better input as to why it is or isn't worth using. Good luck

I've used crushed grain that was in my pantry for 2-3 weeks in a brown paper bag. I didn't taste any difference in the final beer. As long as it stayed dry crushed grains keep well, so as long as it's not damp in you freezer you're good to go (well Id taste and smell them first)

What!!!, their still good, It's not like fresh made bread. And you had them in the deep freeze, you are good to go... Now lets talk about your lack of brewing problem?

There's a quote on the board somewhere from the maltster at Briess where he states that crushed grain has only a slightly lesser shelf life than uncrushed, as long as it's "properly" stored (68F, no light, no moisture would be perfect). If I can find the post I'll provide the link.

Found it:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/how-long-do-malts-last-crushed-vs-whole-391507/#post4922892
For what it's worth, the maltster at Briess gave an interview to Brew Strong in which he said that crushed grains don't go stale much faster than whole grains.

It's all about proper storage. I'd take two year old grain stored at proper moistures and temperatures over two month old grain stored improperly.

What!!!, their still good, It's not like fresh made bread. And you had them in the deep freeze, you are good to go... Now lets talk about your lack of brewing problem?

just check them, sittin pretty at 68F, seems very dry inside my chest freezer(fermenter chamber). I can not find my recipe, but I do have the US 05 yeast and Perle Hops. Guess I'll do a few searches and see what pops up using these two items.

As far as my lack of brewing, it all started out with my female boxer being diagnosed with pancreatitis, which really put a damper on many things in our home.

I had some crushed 2 row for months in an airtight container in the kitchen. When I finally used it, the efficiency was low, but the beer was good. If I recall correctly, the 13# of base grain(+ a little specialty grains) only gave me a 1.064 OG.

I've had crushed grains sealed in their bags for a month in the fridge. Kept just fine. Since I now have a grain mill,My uncrushed 13 some pounds of grains sat in their sealed bags in the shipping box for nearly 2 weeks. Put them in my home depot bucket & sealed'em up the other day. Still dry & smell good.

Back