She is finally Home..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

springer

Reaction score
Well after what seems like an eternity she is finally home . I have been working an her for some time a piece here some paint there . She has been in my dads pole barn since I painted her almost 15 years ago . I finally got up off my ass -Well actually I was forced my dad bought a 48 Ford convertible but thats another story . Her she is fresh off the car trailer my 66 SS 396 Chevelle 4 speed. Still needs a lot of work like a whole new interior and I am going to be putting in a crate BB and redoing the motor that in her now. I need to get the original rims sandblasted so I can paint them its got mid 80's Monte Carlo rims on her now. I can't believe the tires held air dry rotted to crap.

As you can see by the swirl marks I just started to color sand and buff the paint
66_SS_396.JPG

66_SS_396_1.JPG

66_SS_396_2.JPG

I am afraid to touch the dice:D . There from the 80's when I was running the car as a driver . I think they will disintegrate if disturbed .

I love the car! I had a 65 chevelle 4 speed, I dropped in a 572" BB. It was almost undrivable with the limited tire space on the 65, Been on the lookout for a 66-67 for a year, all seem too spendy or in such poor shape its not worth purchasing

dude , that is just awesome! Congrats!

funny I have just let her sit and now I am itching to get her done.

I love the car! I had a 65 chevelle 4 speed, I dropped in a 572" BB. It was almost undrivable with the limited tire space on the 65, Been on the lookout for a 66-67 for a year, all seem too spendy or in such poor shape its not worth purchasing

Hate to tell you what the price was in 1984..:D I was able to still buy new GM 1/4 panels I have the passenger side still in a box but the drivers side was hit and cheaper to replace than fix . Very little rust on this car unusual for a NY car .

Very sweet ride.

Thanks

Yikes a comet in a Chevelle thread, shudder.;)

Springer, between your cars, bikes and chicks, you must have a hell of a good time.:rockin:

Both are cool cars, for very different reasons...

My 69 Mustang is just a shell at this point. I need to stop brewing for a while and start back up with the welding. I'm a couple of years away from painting (unless I get off my butt too).

Yikes a comet in a Chevelle thread, shudder.;)

Springer, between your cars, bikes and chicks, you must have a hell of a good time.:rockin:

I like all makes never was a purist .

Well I am broke ...lol

J/k I don't really have a lot of money tied up in any of my hobbies . This car was get this 1295$ when I got it in 84, towed it in off the Saw Mill parkway with a seized rear . I gave the guy $ 800 and paid my uncle the tow and storage . I am starting to put money into her now though. Motor is strong but needs to be freshened that's why the crate is going in sometime in the future . While the engine isn't the correct one its about 3 months too new for the body and the vins don't jive its still period correct . Any one have an L34 block that was made before june 66 that they would like to give me?

And it helps I do all my own work except the machining on the engines.

And none of my cars are "Show cars" they are drivers . And this one still needs some patches on the floors not bad enough to replace the pans but just a little welding and time.

was fun taking her off the trailer both header reducers just fell apart on the ride over . So I just tied up the intermediate pipes with some wire to the crossmember and ran her with open headers .

wow, that is nice!!!

where does your boil kettle go :p

well right now the brew area had to be shelved so I could put the car away i may squeeze in a brew before Thanksgiving glad I have 15 gallons on tap and another 10 conditioning . Garage keeps getting smaller

jeezes h christ $700 minimum to rebuild the gauge cluster at red line ...

I took out the electric fuel pump over the weekend and put in a Carter mechanical fuel pump and replaced all the fuel lines . Next weekend going to do the brakes and lines . They brakes work fine but with a single system I dont trust 30+ year old lines or brake cylinders.

Both are cool cars, for very different reasons...

My 69 Mustang is just a shell at this point. I need to stop brewing for a while and start back up with the welding. I'm a couple of years away from painting (unless I get off my butt too).

I know what you mean .I have a BB 455 1970 Delta 88 convertible that my family has owned since 71 . Car isnt a junker but needs a total restoration. I searched for years for a radiator support for it finally found one a few years ago in AZ had to be from a car with A/C . So that the next one I should be 70 when its finish it.:D

Looks like a lot of fun... My old man has a '66 GTO in the garage. Him and his brother bought it in 1978 from one of their neighbors, poor SOB had just gotten married and his SWMBO made him sell it (for a measly $600). My dad and his brother each threw in $300. My dad has been working on restoring it for some time now (i.e. probably about 20 years and it will never be done). He's spent all his time on the motor, it's been totally rebuilt and is definitely the nicest part of the car. Body has some rough spots, and the interior isn't bad but it's certainly not great either. Taking it out for a cruise is definitely a highlight of my trips back home. A few years ago he replaced the original carb with 3 deuces. WOW, that's all I got to say about that.

Back