Sharing the Auto-Siphon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LCTitan

Reaction score
Can I use the same auto-siphon that I use for my beer batches for wine as long as they are clean and sanitized?

Even if you used separate auto-siphons, you would still be like a bee exchanging pollen from one to another just having them in the same building. Not sure what you could ever do to stop it. I ferment bread, drinks even in the fridge, and just about any other food or drink that is fermentable. The beer/wine yeast becomes the new wild yeast. Not sure if it would really hurt anything.

You would think it really wouldn't matter. Trying to put together my wine making kit without having to buy duplicate equipment.

I use my beer and wine equipment interchangeably, with no cross-contamination issues. Everything is very clean and sanitized, of course. But it's fine!

biggest problem is cleaning it quickly after racking a red wine. tubing and plastic likes to stain purple FAST. straight-A cleanser does a good job on it. WAY better than oxyclean.

Back