Sharing my first time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theDarkPint

Reaction score
When I first got into homebrewing a little over a year ago, I knew I wanted to make a hard cider. Fast forward to last Saturday when I happened to be at a local orchard where they had freshly pressed cider for sale. Fast forward just a little bit further to see me wearing a stupid grin walking to the car with 5 gal of unpasteurized cider and my wife shaking her head.

I had done some research, but figured I'd go with the RDWHAHB mentality for my first batch. If you know me, you know this was freakin difficult. I prefer to know EXACTLY what I'm doing and have a very precise plan in place before moving forward. But I digress...

I'm hoping to order a kegging system soon, so I knew I couldn't pasteurize at the end (at least not easily). I improvised and heated the cider to ~190 for 10 minutes (like you would if the finished product were in bottles) and called it done. I then sat around for hours waiting for this stuff to cool. I'd forgotten how painful it is when you can't use a wort chiller. In hindsight, I probably should have bought pasteurized cider but hey, I was shooting from the hip here.

Anyway, I had 5 gal of pseudo-pasteurized cider sitting in my carboy down to around 75-80ish degrees (ran out of patience). I had 1.060 SG on the nose without adding any sugar. Sweet. Added some yeast nutrient after aerating the heck out of the "wort" then pitched a very bloated Wyeast 1098 British Ale yeast as I'd read good things online. Nine hours later, my decision to go with a blowoff tube was justified. I had some angry yeast!

The plan is to switch to an airlock after a week and take a gravity reading. I'm hoping to get it down to 1.014ish and then cold crash it and rack it into a secondary. It'll stay in the secondary until the sulfur smell is gone or about a month - whichever is longer. After that, I may pull a gallon off into a tertiary for long-term conditioning and rack the rest into a keg.

So that's my tale. If anyone has suggestions, pointers, prophecies of doom let me know. I'm hoping for a basic, no frills hard cider. Something along the lines of Strongbow or Original Sin. Cheers!

Don't bother heating up raw cider. If anything, it'll take away from the freshness of it...especially if you're going to pitch some commercial yeast. Sorry to be a Debbie downer;)

Don't bother heating up raw cider. If anything, it'll take away from the freshness of it...especially if you're going to pitch some commercial yeast. Sorry to be a Debbie downer;)

Yeah, I had read that the commercial yeast would beat the crap out of any local stuff in there, but I figured "why not?" It still tasted/smelled good so I think I'll be alright.

Like I said in the post, I'll probably just go pasteurized in the future to avoid the issue entirely. Thanks for the feedback though. I'm new to this and don't mind a course correction here or there. :)

I did a side by side comparison from an orchard that sells uv pasteurized to customers but I requested some "raw" juice ahead of time. It was my first official test of orchard juice and I did both side by side and definitely noticed a difference in taste. I used the same Belgian ale yeast in both and was tempted to even do a another side batch of letting the wild yeast have it's way but didn't do that. Just wanted to experiment since I've brewed many with plain old storebought juice. Kinda all ends up the same but I did appreciate the extra flavor and complexity from the raw juice. My experiment is done I think. Gonna continue on with the storebought juice since it's cheaper and more available...even the organic USA juice that I can buy.

I do have an empty 1 gal glass container, maybe I'll try some store bought just for kicks. I figured there would be a huge difference in taste, but if there's not, I'd definitely be up for saving the money and effort.

That's pretty much where I'm at too:mug:
Got my hopes up for apple season and realized that my end result is pretty much the same regardless of whether I buy from an orchard or a store. Out by me the orchard juice is at least 2x the price too. Keep at it though and you're gonna appreciate the simplicity of brewing your own cider!

Back