Sharing Homebrew with BMC Fans.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shauntraxler

Reaction score
So the other day I took a small weekend vacation to visit some friends in Panama City Beach. They are all drinkers, but the vast majority are 'hooked' on Bud Light. Every now and again I can get one of them to try something like Peroni or even one time, I got one of them to drink Yeungling's Family and Friends Porter.

So, I brought some a few bottles of homebrew along, some IPA, some brown ale and my banana brew. I poured sample cups of each and let everyone give them a taste. The IPA was first up to bat and struck out swinging. I mean, half a sip into it and people were already heading for a sink to dump. Haha. It was a very very sad occasion to see people think something was actually wrong and infectious with this beer. Personally, I think it's a pretty delicious IPA. I attempted to explain the concept of hops and their contribution to the beer, but they continued to just ask questions like, "Does it taste this bad because you just brewed it?", "Does it need to age more?", "So, what went wrong here?". It was hilarious. The brown ale and banana beer fared no better. I guess with some people who claim to "like beer", turning them on to something with flavor is just a lost cause.

Anywho, has anyone had any similar experiences? If so, let's hear them.

And after this debacle, a quick cheers to 'real' beer lovers everywhere! :mug:

Starting with the IPA doomed the experiment from the beginning. :)

I only have one unconverted BMC drinking friend left. His favorite beer is still an ice cold Bud. That's fine - hell, I enjoy an ice cold Bud outdoors in the summer. But seriously, this guy never orders anything but BMC.

Anyway, I share a lot of homebrew with my friends, and my BMC friend is often there when I do. He approaches all my beers with a lot of skepticism. Nevertheless, he has really enjoyed several of them, and told me so repeatedly after enjoying several of them. :mug:

The common denominator in the beers he likes seems to be the lack of any really assertive flavor. Off the top of my head, he has liked a Nut Brown, a Blonde, and an ESB. The ESB surprised me, as I thought it would be too bitter for him. Apparently it was mild enough to be acceptable.

We homebrewers love to make big, unique, and sometimes zany beers. For a BMC drinker, it can be an impossible jump to enjoy these beers.

Starting with the IPA doomed the experiment from the beginning. :)

I only have one unconverted BMC drinking friend left. His favorite beer is still an ice cold Bud. That's fine - hell, I enjoy an ice cold Bud outdoors in the summer. But seriously, this guy never orders anything but BMC.

Anyway, I share a lot of homebrew with my friends, and my BMC friend is often there when I do. He approaches all my beers with a lot of skepticism. Nevertheless, he has really enjoyed several of them, and told me so repeatedly after enjoying several of them. :mug:

The common denominator in the beers he likes seems to be the lack of any really assertive flavor. Off the top of my head, he has liked a Nut Brown, a Blonde, and an ESB. The ESB surprised me, as I thought it would be too bitter for him. Apparently it was mild enough to be acceptable.

We homebrewers love to make big, unique, and sometimes zany beers. For a BMC drinker, it can be an impossible jump to enjoy these beers.

Interesting. I suppose the IPA is a bit far-fetched for a BMC drinker. I just love hops so much, and until I build up a stockpile of beers I LOOOVE at home, I probably won't start brewing for other people's tastes. Don't get me wrong, I love Belgians, Nut browns, wits, etc, but I am brewing through all the IPAs, APA, IIPA, ESB, type brews first.

:)

Interesting. I suppose the IPA is a bit far-fetched for a BMC drinker. I just love hops so much, and until I build up a stockpile of beers I LOOOVE at home, I probably won't start brewing for other people's tastes. Don't get me wrong, I love Belgians, Nut browns, wits, etc, but I am brewing through all the IPAs, APA, IIPA, ESB, type brews first.

:)

Hey man, brewhatchalike! I brewed a couple batches last year keeping other people's tastes in mind, and I won't do it again. I just regretted having beer around taking up fermenter and packaging space that could contain something better. Life's too short not to brew the beer YOU want to drink!

Back