Sharing Homebrew in MN

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpcluever

Reaction score
My new brewery is capable of making more than I can drink and would like to share some with friends. Is anyone somewhat familiar with the laws in MN regarding sharing beer? I seem to remember hearing a limit. There HAS to be. I've scoured the MN statutes regarding alcohol, and don't see much about homebrew. Someday I'd like to go pro and the last thing I need is an alcohol violation.

It goes without saying that any advice here would not be considered as actual legal advice.

Let me know if you know where to point me. Thanks!!

I'm curious if anyone has any actual responses that are valid for this. Just out of curiosity how much are you putting out there? If you really need me I'm in South Minneapolis.
I've never heard anything about a "sharing limit" but I have heard of the homebrewing limits which seem to vary by state but tend to be somewhere around 100-200 gallons a year. If that's true I'm right on my way to breaking that law....or...I mean...I'll stop I swear....That ones not mine....

Some of the laws are very vague. In MN, the law reads, in part, "Minnesota statute Chapter 340A, §340A.301, Subdivision. 9 permits the unlicensed manufacture of beer in the home for family use. Minnesota statute Chapter 297G, §297G.07 permits Fruit juices naturally fermented or beer naturally brewed in the home for family use to be free from state excise tax.:

The issue I see is this part: permits the unlicensed manufacture of beer in the home for family use.

That connotes that the beer would be for family use, and not for friends/acquaintances. Of course, it would depend on the judge/lawyer's view of what "family use" means.

My suggestion would be to go ahead and share, but keep in mind the way the law reads.

In Michigan, it used to be specified that we could give away 1 six pack per year per person. But now the law states specifically that I can give away 20 gallons per year, total.

I don't know the laws in your state but honestly I wouldn't worry about it. I don't even know why these laws are on the books since they are virtually unenforceable, not to mention vague.

Just makes me nervous, because the only real way to share any significant amount means emails, facebook messages, etc. Electronic trail everywhere. To be clear, I'm talking about sharing up to 5 gallons a batch. 10 growlers max. Nothing real crazy, but enough.

Thanks for the input!

I really don't wish to give advice on this subject, but just be reasonable and have some common sense and it shouldn't be an issue.

And if you need to use the internet to give away free alcohol, there is something wrong with you. Do you bathe? Seriously, word of mouth should suffice just fine. ;-)

Just ask people not to email you or post messages about it. Let them have fun thinking of creative ways to "not say" what they are enjoying. Believe me, they will be eager to do so and they will enjoy the challenge.

I like Illinois law, it say can be shared with family and neighbors. As far as im concerned everyone is my neighbor. You'll be fine as long as you don't sell it. Or just make less.

Just makes me nervous, because the only real way to share any significant amount means emails, facebook messages, etc. Electronic trail everywhere. To be clear, I'm talking about sharing up to 5 gallons a batch. 10 growlers max. Nothing real crazy, but enough.

Thanks for the input!

Just remember...it isn't like you are selling illegal weapons or drugs. You are giving away homebrew to friends and the authorities really don't care. They have much, much better things to do than track down someone who gives away beer. My friends send me email and FB messages all the time asking me what I have on tap and asking if they can stop by for a growler fill. I am not worried....

Back