Share your Kveik mead experiments!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkBrood

Reaction score
I am interested to hear all aspects of your experiments making mead with kveik yeasts!

(Alterations to nutrient handling, fermentation time/temp, observations of flavor/aroma profiles, fermentation/flocculation/aging behavior, possible refermentation issues, etc...)

....I have a handful of kveik strains on hand, access to a wide variety of specialty local honeys, and a space that keeps a steady 83*. (Lots of past experiece with meads, but mostly with 71B and <70*.)

I have not tried meads with kveik yet. I have one 5g batch of Loki aging now that so far is interesting but not great. Time will tell.

However, I just listened to Basic Brewing Radio podcast and they were sampling kveik meads. I’m not sure if it was a newer episode or if I was listening to the archives. It was a very interesting episode and got me thinking of trying some out.

I currently have 3gal of mead (Rainbow Eucalyptus/Strawberry Guava honey) that I started on 8/21 with liquid Hornindal. Given kveik's reputation, I cut all the times in half for my stepped nutrient additions.

Today (9/5), I am still getting a steady big bubble (blowoff tube 3/8" I.D) every 80-100 seconds and the FV still looks very milkshaky. Smell from the bubble is 85% healthy fresh yeast with 15% honey sweetness. Today really shows the first signs of any clearing, with about 7/8" of soft-looking sediment. Not opening to measure SG just yet.

(I also have 2.5gal batch with macadamia honey and 71B that is a few weeks older. Fermented out at the steady environmental 81* just for schitzengiggle.....pretty much totally clear and, as expected, rather hot and bland. Might use to blend, more likely will distill or play with in the kitchen. Lol. Quarantine restlessness wouldn't wait for the kveiks to arrive....)

Are these regular strength meads? I think I’m more interested in kveik for session meads. I think the added character of the yeast could really help lower gravity meads.

The first round with each yeast, I'm keeping middle of the road (10-12% ABV). Next round, I may start doing splits with different amounts of water in alternate FVs to see how sugar load effects the results.

Most of my finished (ie not experimenting wildly) meads fit into two categories: dessert melomels with a sugar load to overwhelm the yeast at high ABVs.....and session-strength metheglins to showcase more savory elements.

I use Kviek Omega Hot Head Ale Yeast (11% Alcohol Tolerance) for Session Mead 7.8 - 8% ABV (1.060 +- OG and expected 1.004 FG)
- Fermented at 88 Deg F using a carboy heat blanket wrapped in a beach towel.
- Nutrients are Fermaid-O using TOSNA 3.0 calculator for the amount but put it all in at once up front. (No Go-Ferm as liquid yeast does not need it.)
- I do aerate the dickens out of the honey, juice (If used) and water using a lees stirrer and drill for 5 minutes prior to yeast pitch.
- Yeast pitch to 1.010 in about 12- days.
- Remove heat and rack from lees. Leave at room temp for another 12 - 15 days to clean up 1.002 - 1.004.
- IF I add fruit leave at room temp for another 12 days.
- Usually requires some acid to taste.
- Clarify and carbonate in a keg or bottle still.
- Drinkable right after and really good in 6 - 8 weeks.

CKuhns - Since you are using a carboy, you can see inside too. Did you happen to notice at what point visual flocculation/clearing started?

At this temp and with this yeast makes a lot of krausen. Two plus inches early on and is present at about 1/2" until racking at day 12 to 15 or at my target 1.010 SG. I tend to swirl it a little once or twice each day for 2 or 3 days to break it up and help it settle out before racking.

Edited
Realized i probably did not answer about when it starts to clarify. This is a quick mead and it does start to clarify a bit at 30 days. But without help by adding a clarifying agent and or cold crashing really doesnt get clear. (I do both) 3 to 5 days in the fridge and KC Super Kleer.

Last edited:
I use Kviek Omega Hot Head Ale Yeast (11% Alcohol Tolerance) for Session Mead 7.8 - 8% ABV (1.060 +- OG and expected 1.004 FG)
- Fermented at 88 Deg F using a carboy heat blanket wrapped in a beach towel.
- Nutrients are Fermaid-O using TOSNA 3.0 calculator for the amount but put it all in at once up front. (No Go-Ferm as liquid yeast does not need it.)
- I do aerate the dickens out of the honey, juice (If used) and water using a lees stirrer and drill for 5 minutes prior to yeast pitch.
- Yeast pitch to 1.010 in about 12- days.
- Remove heat and rack from lees. Leave at room temp for another 12 - 15 days to clean up 1.002 - 1.004.
- IF I add fruit leave at room temp for another 12 days.
- Usually requires some acid to taste.
- Clarify and carbonate in a keg or bottle still.
- Drinkable right after and really good in 6 - 8 weeks.
How much grams did u add? which yeast option in the TOSNA calculator?

TOSNA Calculator - I used this one
TOSNA Calculator
Select "Other High Nitrogen requirements". (This yeast is a nutrient hog)
In this case its a liquid yeast and for a 5 gallon batch the entire packet (100 ml)

Back