**** Share you favorite Metheglin recipes ! ******

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunit00

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I want to make some Metheglins. I'm interested in trying a tried and tested recipe. Please share the nitty gritty of your recipes, i.e. yeast type, estimated OG and FG, fermentation duration, and aging time.

Thank you,
gunit00

Hello Brother i use this one:

this recipe is for only 6 liters you cans scale up if you want.

Honey choose your favorite... to reach 1.070
1 Oz of Chinook Hops.
lalvin yeast k1-v1116 18% tolerance my favorite the mead wil by dry to 1.000 - .999
this Gods drinks will by around 8-9% ABV

i dont boil the honey, just heat the honey to easy pour the honey in the Jug then mix to get a beautyfull golden color, then i put 1 Oz of Chinook Hop you can use only .5Oz if you only want a low hoppy flavor but i like to use 1 OZ, mix everything in primary.

you will get a nice dry mead in more or less three weeks primary then bottle for sparkling with a spoon of honey per bottle, or do secondary for a still clear mead in a month the mead will clear and all the hops and yeast will be in the bottom of the Jug.

Enjoy, Cheers.

Doesn't metheglin mean it's spiced??

Spices are dried flowers, bark, or seeds/berries of plants. Technically, hops work in that definition. I think you could also call them an herb ( maybe?), which is also appropriate ingredient wise for a metheglin.

JAOM is also tried and true. It's both metheglin and melomel.

Camomile makes a really nice sparkling mead in my opinion.

1 gallon camomile mead

Favorite honey to gravity 1.080
3tbs or 9 tea bags of camomile tea
25-30 raisins
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1/2 tsp yeast energizer
Water to one gallon.
Yeast: Lalvin k1v-1116

Mix everything up in primary. Yeast nutrient to be split up over 3 additions from yeast pitch, day 3 and day 5. Let primary ferment 3-4 weeks. Rack to secondary and wait another 3-4 weeks. Rack and then mix with 5 tsp of honey. Bottle immediately. Should be 4 750 ml wine bottles. Let sit in bottles for 4 months minimum. Bottles saved over the 1 year mark are remarkable.

Should be a nicely carbonated dry mead with a silky smooth mouth feel and a surprising sweetness on the back end.

5 Gallon Batch

Primary
12 - 16 Hibiscus Tea bags in 3.5 to 4 gallons Gallons Water Boil & Steep for 15 - 30 Minutes add to 17 - 18 Lbs Honey (Wildflower from a local apiary) Target 1.115 to 1.120 OG

Cotes Des Blanc Yeast Started 3 days prior. Leaves a little residual sugar if fermented at 64- 66 Deg F for roughly 25-30 days. 1.002 to 1.006. FG.

Secondary (Kind of)
Cold Crash for 2 - 4 days and move to "Secondary" after racking. (Preserves the residual sugar & not really secondary as ferment does not typically keep going.) Add 2 -3 Cinnamon Sticks, 1 1/2 - 2 split vanilla beans. Hold for 30 days and rack off lees and spice.

Bulk age and clarify / rack as necessary. (4 months or so, spice will mellow) Prior to bottling add 1 oz Medium Toast Oak cubes remove after 7 - 10 days and bottle.

Have made two batches with this recipe and love the mouth feel and mellow spiced flavor after aging for 4 - 6 months in the bottle. (Ages well longer is better IMO, cinnamon tends to age out after a bit.)

Back