Shank connection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macminn18

Reaction score
I ordered some perlick/shank combos on Black Friday special. The shanks have the nipples on them. I'm building a tower, was hoping to use Jon Guest fittings for the 90 degree elbow.
Trying to figure out how big of a deal it is, or if I should just use what I have. How often to you have to take the tubing off the shank? It looks like the ones with the nipples are cheaper, can't figure that out.

IME you rarely disconnect the hose. I had one of the shanks with nipples in the past. I've since switched to stainless shanks that use tail pieces. The reasons I switched where mine was plated brass and 1) I had used it long enough that I could see the plating was wearing off and the brass was starting to show through (faucet mounting area), and 2) I upgraded from a fridge-based kegerator to a keezer with a coffin and the shank was too long resulting in a fairly sharp bend in the line. So just my two cents, I don't think it's a huge deal as you'll likely seldom remove the lines but if it's plated like mine was, you'll eventually replace the shank.

Back