SHAME on all you hunters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VatorMan

Reaction score
dumb.jpg

Awesome.

I had a ridiculous conversation with my buddy's girlfriend (who we all hate) about hunting. She went off about how wrong it is, etc, while refusing to offer any alternatives to a well managed hunting program. She actually said that it would be better to let populations take care of themselves (starving to death, more animals in neighborhoods and on roads, more disease -- all due to over population). I just can't believe someone can be that blinded by baseless feelings...

Sure it would be nice if natural predators could handle game populations, but since humans have decimated the predators, we have the responsibility as stewards of this earth to take over in maintaining the balance. Not to mention that the animals are there for our responsible use in the first place...

LMAO this is just great. Though as funny as it is, it is actualy kind of scary knowing this person can also vote or drive a vehicle. Let alone procreate.

I'm going to pull some grouse out of the freezer for dinner tonight - When I'm done eating I'm going to sit on the couch, drink beer and feel shame.

I'm going to pull some grouse out of the freezer for dinner tonight - When I'm done eating I'm going to sit on the couch, drink beer and feel shame.

mmmmmmm wild birdies!!!!!!!!

Can I come over and feel shame with you? I'll bring some venison mole'.

For some reason I feel like this thread needs this pic.

jkn0388l.jpg

Sure it would be nice if natural predators could handle game populations, but since humans have decimated the predators, we have the responsibility as stewards of this earth to take over in maintaining the balance. Not to mention that the animals are there for our responsible use in the first place...

We could always do something to get the predators back in action as well. Not really going to happen, tho, as they are a dangerous nuisance and, let's face it, competition.

I feel much more satisfied eating something I've killed, cleaned and cooked myself. I know a lot of people that don't feel this way, tho, people who can't kill a fly. They still eat meat. Except the vegans...but they have bigger problems, like unhealthy lifestyles and methane emissions :p

I dunno - if I was a deer I think I'd rather take a quick bullet to the chest over being dragged around by a pack of wolves ripped apart limb by limb as I scream in horror.

I mean, what would you choose? Dr Kevorkian or an insane hoard of zombies to do you in?

Just saying...

mmmmmmm wild birdies!!!!!!!!

Can I come over and feel shame with you? I'll bring some venison mole'.

For some reason I feel like this thread needs this pic.

Absolutely we can get drunk, feel shame, pass out and in the morning have some of the bear steaks my uncle brought me and than start all over again :tank:

Oh my god, I've never had bear, what's it like???

It depends on the bear, it's age and what they have been sustaining themselves on. I would describe it as a bit greasier, sweeter and more gamey than venison. It makes a great stew...

Wild game is funny that way - I shot some grouse years ago that were hanging under apple trees beforehand and they tasted just like sour apples - they were so bad I had to toss them.

I've had those conversations with the anti-hunters before; fairly recently actually. The hippocrit meat-eaters really piss me off. It usually goes something like this:

"have you ever been to a slaughterhouse?"

"ummmm...no"

"so you KNOW that the cow you got the steak from was humanely killed and didn't feel one bit of pain or suffering?"

"ummmmm..."

"I don't take a shot unless it's humane and will quickly kill the animal. Ever. Can you say that about your New York Strip?"

"Uhhhh..."

:rolleyes:

It's easy to bite into a burger when you don't have to think about where it came from.

It's much easier to eat something that you killed yourself. At least I know what kind of conditions it was living in and that it wasn't rolling around in it's own **** 24/7.

It's much easier to eat something that you killed yourself. At least I know what kind of conditions it was living in and that it wasn't rolling around in it's own **** 24/7.

That's my take on it. I'm definitely not a fan of factory farms, or some of the associated problems with them. The few animal products I eat have either been kept and milked humanely (goat's milk) or are wild and were killed by one shot (or one shot with my bow) or removed from the water by my fishing rod and also killed quickly. I don't shoot at any animal I'm not intending to eat. I don't fill my freezer, I just take enough for my family's food supply.

I think it's true that many people prefer to not think of the fact that they are eating animals that may not have been treated well. It's easier to buy a package of mystery meat then to think about where it came from, what it was fed, and what hormones/antibiotics/chemicals it was exposed to.

Hunting is very commonplace where we live, but I imagine that in less rural areas, it might seem barbaric.

We could always do something to get the predators back in action as well. Not really going to happen, tho, as they are a dangerous nuisance and, let's face it, competition.

I feel much more satisfied eating something I've killed, cleaned and cooked myself. I know a lot of people that don't feel this way, tho, people who can't kill a fly. They still eat meat. Except the vegans...but they have bigger problems, like unhealthy lifestyles and methane emissions :p

Even in areas with significant predators, you still have a boom/bust cycle that leads to animals on the street, etc.

I always like to point out that there are more deer in the US right now than there were when Colombus landed. Lots of other popular game animals are making that trend also, due to hunter-sponsored efforts.

In the end, a well-managed population will be able to sustain many more animals than one in a natural predator.prey population. Unless we want thousands of elk and deer dying and rotting from natural boom/bust cycles, then we're going to have to accept hunting.

All of my friends love my elk kebabs, and some even offered to pool together and buy me a private tag after I didn't score one this bow season. I told them just to expect a lot more quail :rockin:

No disagreement here. I just would like to see more bobcats, wolves, cougars, etc. out there. Eliminating them certainly didn't help our problem of overpopulation and I misses thems.

I've had those conversations with the anti-hunters before; fairly recently actually. The hippocrit meat-eaters really piss me off. It usually goes something like this:

"have you ever been to a slaughterhouse?"

"ummmm...no"

"so you KNOW that the cow you got the steak from was humanely killed and didn't feel one bit of pain or suffering?"

"ummmmm..."

"I don't take a shot unless it's humane and will quickly kill the animal. Ever. Can you say that about your New York Strip?"

"Uhhhh..."

:rolleyes:

It's easy to bite into a burger when you don't have to think about where it came from.
Ask the dumbfack if he knows how many "soys" gave their lives to become that "burger"...:drunk:

Latest posts

Back