Shall i pour it all out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steken

Reaction score
Hey there !
First post at this forum (been hang around for awhile) and just a heads up english is not my native language.

So to the question at hand

Well the other night i was doing my 3rd AG brewing and the 2 first went very well and the beer is ... mmmm goodie! :)

This time all went well with the mashing and and i started to boil my wort
thing is I had to boil 2 times as i did a bigger batch this time and ofc i hadnt picked a bigger pot up.
AND my girlfriend had been abit sick that weekend so as I turns out when my first boil is done she is really bad i need to go to the hospital with her
so I put the done wort in the boiling pot outside and left the rest of the unboiled wort sitting in a fermenter bucket.

When I get home in the middle of the night im very tired and well my beer wasnt really a priority so I just threw the unboiled wort with the boiled wort in the fermenter and pitched the yeast and forgot about it.

So now i took a look in my closet where i had put the batch and it has fermented out to FG1012 from OG1052 and i tasted abit when sampling and it tasted fine actually.

So is there a problem that I only boiled the half of it ? Sure i guess there might be off flavours and (DMZ?) but is it drinkable ?
Could the unboiled protein and other thingies make my beer toxic or something ?
Can I drink it if it tastes good ?

NOTE: Yes my girl is fine now and they let me take her home after two nights :D

steken said:
NOTE: Yes my girl is fine now and they let me take her home after two nights :D
That's the important part.

No matter what happens, your beer will not be toxic. It's possible for it to get infected and get sour or otherwise taste bad, but it'll never be hazardous - any nasty organisms that may grow in beer are harmless to your body. If it tastes good, by all means, drink it.

I think the beer will turn out ok but it may not taste or look like what you were expecting. Still, you should get beer.

Did you boil all your hops with the first batch of wort? If not, it won't be as bitter or have as much hop flavor and aroma as you intended. You may want to consider dry-hopping if you want hop aroma.

You didn't get hot or cold break from the unboiled wort which might contribute to chill haze.

You didn't boil out the DMS from the unboiled wort which might contribute some vegetal off-flavors.

Nothing too serious, really. Let us know how it turns out.

And welcome to HBT!

:mug:

Wow! if that works then the next time you can do "no boil" beer and just add some hop tea!

Sounds like you are a good boyfriend!

Hehe ok thanks for the fast replies.
This board is really alive and kicking compared to my swedish one ive found :p might take days to get a reply.
Ok then I will leave it be and see how it turns out. And report back how it turns out.
The hops I added all in the first boil so that part should be good.

Oh and yes was thinking about DMS...
DMZ... reminds me of work not beer :p

Thanks again guys/girls for the answers

You may have dodged a bullet on this one. I would drink it fast because there is bound to be some lacto bugs in there and it will sour soon. But who knows, that might not happen either and maybe if it does you will have a nice sour beer. Welcome to the forum!

steken said:
When I get home in the middle of the night im very tired and well my beer wasnt really a priority so I just threw the unboiled wort with the boiled wort in the fermenter and pitched the yeast and forgot about it.
RDWHAHB.

Proper brewer! Still managed to finish the task in hand no matter what happens :rockin:

Back