Shall I consider high attenuation wrong in a beer? As high as 1.008 (81%)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
I am reading about beer styles on the website of BJCP and most of the styles dont go below 1.010 FG. My american pale ale ended up with 1.008 final gravity (started off with OG: 1.046 and I used safale US-05).

Is this a mistake in beer? The beer is really good....but for instance, at a beer competition, would this be an error in the beer?

Elysium said:
I am reading about beer styles on the website of BJCP and most of the styles dont go below 1.010 FG. My american pale ale ended up with 1.008 final gravity (started off with OG: 1.046 and I used safale US-05). Is this a mistake in beer? The beer is really good....but for instance, at a beer competition, would this be an error in the beer?

No I think it is fine. There are many factors that go into what your FG will be. As long as the beer tastes good I wouldn't sweat it. The same recipe that drops to 1.008 this time could very easily wind up 1.012 next time you brew it. Mash temps, yeast health, pitching temps, nutrients and I'm sure a boatload of other variables all make nailing down an exact FG almost impossible. There really isn't any one particular FG to aim at. As long as you are close within the expected range I think you're fine. If you were expecting 1.010 and got 1.025 then if start worrying about what went wrong. But .002 points I believe you're right where you want to be.

Back