Shade for new hop plants???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fred_zepp

Reaction score
So last year was my first year for hop growing. I planted 2 ea of cascade, chinook, sterling and willamette. one cascade and one willamette survived, and i had some tiny shoots/leaves on chinook, sterling and willamette, but all burned back in the sun and died.

I live outside the Sacramento valley in Nor Cal, and its plenty hot here. A friend suggested some shade for new plants, until they're maybe a foot tall or so. I tried it on my surviving willamette plant this year...it looked a little wilted...so i'm partially shading it (cutting some afternoon sun) with window screens. It seems to be a little more healthy now...

Anyone have similar experiences?

A common problem for the folks in the Southwest desert and Sacto isn't much different.

Hmmm. Just keep it damp? When do i have to worry about the fungus and stuff like that? I've been wary of too much water from other reading i had done...

Yep, sounds like the soil might be getting a little too dry. Hops need a bucket of water(figure of speech) when they are flowering. Keep the soil moist and you'll have better looking hops!

I would say dry soil as well. Maybe put some leaves on the ground around the plant to help hold in moisture??? (Should be a simple enough solution.)

yeah...i'll get more frequent watering... and some kind of mulch over the mound to help control moisture in the soil...

I read in the Hop Lover's Guide issue from the best of Brew Your Own that you can use mulch such as Straw or Grass Clippings.

Hops require a lot of water. Mine are tied into the sprinkler system and get two thorough waterings a day. You may need even more. Don't keep them wet all the time though or they will mold. Just water when they dry out.

Tom

Hops require a lot of water. Mine are tied into the sprinkler system and get two thorough waterings a day. You may need even more. Don't keep them wet all the time though or they will mold. Just water when they dry out.

Electric timers hooked to outdoor faucets and over 200ft of soaker hose does wonders. You can now adjust the waterings everyday as needed.

I setup a drip system for mine and will be watering multiple times per day when it starts to REALLY warm up.

P1040839s.jpg

sweet...thanks for all the input. you guys with drippers have any idea of how many gallons a day or week or whatever you put down??? i just dug some of mine up and can now start to appreciate what kind of roots these things develop(startin a new thread about that)... hopefully this year will be much better.

sweet...thanks for all the input. you guys with drippers have any idea of how many gallons a day or week or whatever you put down??? i just dug some of mine up and can now start to appreciate what kind of roots these things develop(startin a new thread about that)... hopefully this year will be much better.

I am not sure about volume of water. I have only had them on for a couple of weeks now and things are really going to change weather wise as we usually start seeing the 90s by the end of April.

I am just going to monitor the moisture level and set the timer accordingly. I will probably have to adjust it several times throughout the summer.

just wondering if you guys water through the night with a slow drip watering system? I work all through the day so this would be my best bet to keep them wet until I get home.

Hmmm. Just keep it damp? When do i have to worry about the fungus and stuff like that? I've been wary of too much water from other reading i had done...

From what I can gather don't worry about watering too much as long as you aren't spraying the leaves. Use a drip system or a hose on the root ball. Never use a sprinkler.

Back