American IPA SGD Raspberry IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burndog

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
SafAle05
Batch Size (Gallons)
6 gal
Original Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
68 degrees fermentation complete 5-6 days
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
None
Tasting Notes
Perfect balance of fruit and bitterness
raspberryipa-jpg.605901
Amt Name %
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) 5.6 %
9.6 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L 3.4 %
3.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) 1.1 %
1.00 oz Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus (CTZ) 32.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 30.0 min 14.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min 19.4 IBUs
8.0 oz Milk Sugar (Lactose) Boil for 15 min 2.8 %
2.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 0.0 min 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale 05
4.00 lb Raspberry Extract (Primary 3.0 days)
1.10 oz Amarillo [9.20 %] - Dry Hop
1.10 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop

BIAB
Mash at 154 for 60 minutes

Never been a fruity beer kindda guy but stopped by Bear Roots Brewing in Vista and had a pint of their Lantham Red. Awesome beer and started me on the path to create a similar Raspberry IPA. Researching other Raspberry IPAs and discussing the ingredients with the Bear Roots brewmaster, I came up with the recipe noted above. Base IPA is close to a Blind Pig IPA with a bit of Lactose.

Raspberries were frozen from Walmart (best price). Brought up to 160 degrees for 10 minutes on the stove with some water to assure no unwanted bacteria or molds. Needing to still be able to convert the fruit sugars so added when fermentation slowed but was not complete (day 3).

Great beer!

Attachments

• raspberryIPA.jpg
    raspberryIPA.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 2,140
I came across this recipe and definitely grabbed my attention. How long did you dry hope for? Any reason why you didn’t secondary onto the fruit?

Dry hop was for a little over a week before kegging.
Secondary? You'll find not that many people use a secondary these days. Plus the Raspberries need to go in close to fermentation completion (day 3 using SafAle 05).

Just getting to brew this beer now......life always gets in the way of brewing. Why did you add the raspberries in at day 3? Was it to have the majority of the sugar ferment out so as to not get a super sweet/raspberry beer and only a hint as opposed to putting them into a secondary. I know you don’t use a secondary thou

Why did you add the raspberries in at day 3? Was it to have the majority of the sugar ferment out so as to not get a super sweet/raspberry beer and only a hint as opposed to putting them into a secondary.

Yes, it's to allow the Yeast to have its way with any sugars that are present from the fruit and turn that into alcohol.

I think you are really going to be happy with the final product. Still got people asking when I'll brew this one again. It's not too sweet and has the perfect balance of Raspberry to Beer flavor.

Alright sounds good. Let them sit in there for a week? Then dry hop for a week then keg

Lactose doesnt play well with some of my friends. Do you think this would still be good without it?

Alright sounds good. Let them sit in there for a week? Then dry hop for a week then keg

Follow your usual dry-hopping schedule... Wait till fermentation stops then dry hop and keg or bottle a week later.

Lactose doesnt play well with some of my friends. Do you think this would still be good without it?
The strengths of this beer are in its base which would be a nice IPA even without the Raspberry. The lack of lactose should not cause too much of problem.

A friend called me and said they want to donate golden raspberries to a beer project.
If they are up for an IPA, I'll try this and post with the results.
I've brewed with raspberries before and the tart flavor after fermentation doesn't suit my taste. I'm hoping using lactose in the recipe will balance the tartness and help the raspberry flavor

If they are up for an IPA, I'll try this and post with the results.

Looking forward to that post/results.

Thinking of doing a Mango IPA as Mangos are similarly tart, and may have a similar positive result. Though while I really like the Ballast Points Sculpin Grapefruit IPA, their Sculpin Pineapple IPA tastes terrible to me.

Couple questions.
1. What was your OG & FG? When I plug it into my app I'm getting 9.7% abv.!
2. How did you add the raspberries? In a weighted bag or just free?

Couple questions.
1. What was your OG & FG? When I plug it into my app I'm getting 9.7% abv.!
2. How did you add the raspberries? In a weighted bag or just free?

8% was my final ABV which was planned in Beersmith2 (75% brewhouse efficiency BIAB).
Original Gravity: 1.082

I'll have to brew this again to confirm the SG and OG values. It was not too boozy and was nicely balanced between an IPA flavor with Raspberry.

Raspberries were added directly the fermentor (Spike CF-10). As noted just before fermentation was complete, so as to allow the yeast to work on the sugars from the Raspberries.

Beer turned out good. Color wasn’t as red as yours but I didn’t heat the raspberries up any and just thawed them and added. I wonder if that affected the color and there is a subtle hint of raspberry, but overall a solid brew

Attachments

• 30103392-5F19-4A89-A76F-041213E40205.jpeg
    30103392-5F19-4A89-A76F-041213E40205.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 104
Color wasn’t as red as yours but I didn’t heat the raspberries up any and just thawed them and added. I wonder if that affected the color and there is a subtle hint of raspberry, ...

I also mashed mine while doing the sanitation heat cycle. I would expect mashing the Raspberries releases much more raspberry flavor and color compared to steeping them. Actually, and without seeing any other changes you may have made, this likely also effected the amount of raspberry flavor. Raspberries (all fruit) have a membrane or skin over the fruit juices/inner flesh. Gotta mash those berries to create a puree and release all that raspberry goodness.

But on the positive note it still is a good beer, even if not fully saturated with raspberry flavor.

EDIT: Just checked my original recipe posted and I failed to note the mashing step. Sorry.

I think you should edit your OP. I am interested in making this, but it would be nice to see what exactly was your raspberry process (did you puree first, then proceed to heat up?)

I'm also interested to know what your FG is with this recipe.

If 1.082 OG is just based off of the grain bill, that's quite hefty, and that doesn't even include the puree, which probably will add a little.

The glass in the OP screams a sour to me....I've had a couple sour IPAs before!

I'm making this during the weekend. I'm going to shoot for 6.5% due to the limits of brewing competition. Because of the lower ABV compared to what you got, I am going to lower the amount of raspberries down to 3LBs. I may even use a lower amount of 2.5LBs. Let me know what you think (I am brewing a 5G batch).

When you "mashed" them, do you mean you just beat the crap out of the bag before simmering?

I'll post pictures later. It is bottle conditioning right now.

I've successfully pasteurized and added raspberries. It gave it a deep red color. Add some water, then smash-up with a potato masher.

Also, don't be afraid to add a little bit more raspberries than what the OP called for. I added 5.25 lbs of raspberries to 5 gallons and it wasn't tart at all, but had plenty of raspberry flavor. I would recommend 1lb per 1 gallon.

I am adding this to a competition in 1 month from now.

From my hydro-tube sample:

Citra-hop forward on the nose. Clearly an IPA by the smell, with a subtle hint of "something else".
Raspberry flavor medium on middle and end. Lactose helps give it something sweet without it being a "sweet" beer.
Very end taste remains reminds you that it's an IPA with strong bitter notes.
Deep, rich red color.

Pasterization at 160F for about 10-15 minutes or so. Place in a large muslin sock and put marbles in it to weigh it down. Pour it all in.

B13427DB-8026-493B-8B31-369FEC0023F4.jpg

AF968266-5909-42B4-8114-5A28B901F28F.jpg

DA549EE1-9E70-43AB-A9E1-9578687227A7.jpg

I'll post pictures later. It is bottle conditioning right now.

I've successfully pasteurized and added raspberries. It gave it a deep red color. Add some water, then smash-up with a potato masher.

Also, don't be afraid to add a little bit more raspberries than what the OP called for. I added 5.25 lbs of raspberries to 5 gallons and it wasn't tart at all, but had plenty of raspberry flavor. I would recommend 1lb per 1 gallon.

I am adding this to a competition in 1 month from now.

From my hydro-tube sample:

Citra-hop forward on the nose. Clearly an IPA by the smell, with a subtle hint of "something else".
Raspberry flavor medium on middle and end. Lactose helps give it something sweet without it being a "sweet" beer.
Very end taste remains reminds you that it's an IPA with strong bitter notes.
Deep, rich red color.

Nice write up and pictures, this is the kind of information that is very helpful. Hats off to Burndog as well for the recipe.

My girlfriend stole about 1/2 gallon and liked it so much that she added Xylosweet and wanted to pretend it was a cider to sweeten it up.

The amount of lactose just brings a balance and I believe it's the right amount for a beer--it's very minimum which is where lactose should stay. My GF just wanted to play with it some and make it more cider-like during bottle conditioning to make it "semi-sweet". Whatever, have at it.

This is the one beer I made that pretty much got her wanting me to make 15 gallons of sour to add fruit to this weekend. This convinced her that using frozen fruit really adds real flavo. As a cider maker, we tend to rely a lot of concentrate to get the job done prior to fermentation, but using frozen raspberries imparts a lot of flavor and makes it taste fresh POST fermentation like the OP suggests.

If your bored of the common IPAs, this is kinda of the king-$hit IPA to brew IMO. I thought it was good enough to enter into a competition and it serves as a great hidden bullet. I'd be surprised if it scored less than 40/50. Easily a Mini BOS at the minimum. Definitely a "Special IPA" beer at wants to remind you that it's an IPA.

Easily one of the best beers I've made--but I've only had a hydro tube sample prior to bottlecarbing. I can't wait to try this one out when it's all said and done.

Last edited:
I took the first set of pictures about 20 seconds after pouring (the head did start bigger than that).

This is easily one of the best beers I have made. My girlfriend told me that, and it was quite an achievement to hear. It's going into a competition soon.

The Raspberry of 1lb/gallon is plentiful and easily adds raspberry flavor--unmistakably without the tart or losing it's balance. Keep with this amount.

The "hop" aroma was mild which can be expected for only 2-ounce of dry hopping. It's "there", but the raspberry smell kinda competes with it. I'd considering raising the dry hop to 3ounce next time if you really wanted more of that up-front hop note. Keep in mind I do "open" transfers, so this could impact my assessment.

I would think hard about the 66.5 IBU. It's an interesting combination for a slightly heavy IBU with a raspberry beer. It kinda gives it this grape-fruit-like finish because of the bittering, which is a very interesting combination. I think this beer would taste fantastic as a strong pale ale at 30-40 IBU, so for anyone considering making this beer, consider a pale ale IBU-like version. It's basically question of do you want a "grapefruit" like finish/feel, or do you want a smoother finish. Both would taste just as fantastic.

I'd rate this beer as-is an 8/10, far superior to most home brews I've had and is very much "craft brew quality" that could be sold on store shelves. This is the first beer that I've made that I would feel good placing it on the shelve with professional beers.

@RPh_Guy

88350738_10157136817464021_4062435000635621376_n.jpg

88236397_10157136817509021_637906959621685248_n.jpg

I am two weeks in, my S05 has ceased at 1.022 which I partly attribute to the lactose. Did a 6 gallon batch with 6 pounds of berries, so glad I put them in a muslin bag. Transferred to the secondary today and dry hopped with 2 ounces of Citra and 2 Amarillo. I like the flavor, raspberry with some tartness and enough bitter at the end to remind you it's an IPA.

Attachments

• rpa.jpg
    rpa.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 80
  • rpa2.jpg
    rpa2.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 76
Yep, the IBU at the end reminds you that it's an IPA, but also gives it this grape-fruit like bitterness perception at the end. I'm questioning if this level of IBU is necessary. I think it's really interesting and good though with the 66 IBU, but I bet it would be just as good at 33 IBU.

Interesting about your FG. Mine landed at 1.015. I wouldn't think the small amount of lactose would make a huge difference since the lactose is only 3% of the grain bill. The mash is 154F which isn't all that high. I would'uve expected less than 1.022 FG.

But hey, when it's finished, it's finished.

Back