Sg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markyboy1976

Reaction score
Guys not done home brew for a few yrs now and just started again and thought I would try a mead my problem is my s.g using a wine type is .96 but all recipes seem to be over 1.000 where am I going wrong plzzz
Thanks in advance mark

Guys not done home brew for a few yrs now and just started again and thought I would try a mead my problem is my s.g using a wine type is .96 but all recipes seem to be over 1.000 where am I going wrong plzzz
Thanks in advance mark

Not clear what your question is. Hydrometers typically have a range of 0.990 to 1.160 and finished wine or mead is usually 1.000 +/- a bit.

Hi markyboy1976 - and welcome. A gravity below 1.000 suggests that there is no obvious problem as it suggests that whatever you did your yeast converted all the sugar to alcohol and you are left with a mix of alcohol and water. Not knowing what your starting gravity was we cannot say what the % alcohol might be but we can say that given the fact that your FG is below 1.000 there is alcohol in solution and that is exactly what mead makers are looking for.
That said an FG of .960 is very dry. If that is what you were aiming for then you scored a bull's eye. If however, you wanted a mead with some residual sugar you may need to stabilize this (add K-meta and k-sorbate) and then add some sugar or honey to back sweeten.

Back