SG off from FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kush

Reaction score
I was stoked today b/c it was day 7 in the primary. I came home from work cleaned up and sanitized the equipment for the rack to the secondary. I took a FG reading to make sure everything was ready to go and it was 1.016 (My OG was 1.050). FG is ranged from 1.008-1.013. So Im guessing this means that Im going to have to wait a couple more days? I tasted a sample and it was delicious. I know that in the final tasting from bottle it will be worth it all.

A number of factors could cause a beer not to finish exactly within the specified range.

Take a reading again tomorrow, and if it's the same, the fermentation is done. 1.016 is a little high, but not a big issue in regards to bottling. I've bottled more than one beer at 1.018 and below without any problems.

Two things - 7 days can be too early to finish and you may not hit your FG since its all extract. No big deal either way...

Couple things to remember...

1. Its not uncommon to have fermentation finish out in the secondary. Just be sure that before you bottle that the FG is stable over two to three days.

and...
2. Did you compensate for temperature?

^^Ok... good to know. I thought that it had to finish off in the primary. I also compensated for temperature.

I also thought that having a higher sg will help aid in bottle bombs.

kush said:
^^Ok... good to know. I thought that it had to finish off in the primary. I also compensated for temperature.

I also thought that having a higher sg will help aid in bottle bombs.

I don't recommend trying to get it down more than maybe 2 points in secondary. You really wanna try to get to your FG before racking to secondary...

A higher SG does lend the potential for bottle bombs, but if it's done fermenting, it's done.

Someone else may correct me, but I've been told by some on this forum that an SG below 1.018 is pretty much safe for bottling purposes.

You don't tell the beer when it's done fermenting. It tells you. Check it again in a few days and see where you are. If you feel you want to do something, rock your carboy a little to rouse the yeast, but I don't think you need it.

Really, I don't even think of checking my primary until Day 10.

TL

Thank you everyone for the advise. Ill check on the primary and let you guys know how everythings coming alone.

My general rule is when the gravity drops to 1/4 of OG, then it's bottling time.

Back