SG low

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoner1313

Reaction score
Hi my first brew is showing the hydrometer nearly bottoming out in the tube after a week in the tub, any suggestions.

What's the actual number reading? And what's it supposed to read? Is there enough in the test tube that the hydrometer is floating freely? What's the temperature of the sample?

After fermentation the gravity should be substantially lower than where it was initially, so without more information we won't be able to help you.

Bottled on Sunday Aug 3rd, SG 1035 which I think was ok, Temp 24c / 75f, the hydrometer sits about 25mm off the bottom, no numbers showing. tested Saturday 10th SG .995.

This might be a silly question, but are you making cider?

You say you "bottled" it on August 3rd. I assume that's a typo and you meant "brewed" on August 3rd, correct?

What's the recipe?

Note: If you look at your hydrometer, near the bottom, it lists the calibration temperature. It might be calibrated to 60F, rather than 68-70F. That's good for several points, but it seems like you're looking at a pretty dry beverage.

Post a picture?

Ok, 75F is warmer than calibration for brewing hydrometers. That's going to add 1-2 points depending on the calibration temp (they're typically set to either 60F, 59F/15C, or 68F/20C, which one yours is should be printed on the hydrometer itself).

How are you reading the hydrometer? Your responses are a bit perplexing, and I'm not sure you're using it correctly.

The distance off the bottom is irrelevant as long as it's floating. The reading at the surface is what you need to be concerned with. Is this carbonated? A beer can be read after being carbonated, but only if it's thoroughly degassed first, otherwise the reading will be wrong. If you mean the gravity of wort going into the fermenter was 1.035 and the gravity now is at 0.995, then we're going to need a recipe. That's a wine level of fermentation, and very very rarely should beer ever drop that low. It could be a sign of contamination with bacteria or wild yeast.

Sorry I posted a reply, it went somewhere. the Brew is Cascade Spicy Draught Beer. There is no calibration markings that I can see other than the normal numbers. There is no reading on the Hydrometer the level in the tube is well over the markings but is clear of the bottom (just). It is a brand new Coopers Brew kit (I am in Australia) but I'm a bit worried about the tin and the yeast being a bit old, there is no use by date on either. I might ditch this lot and start again or bottle it now and see what happens. Your thoughts please.

i just tested my hydrometer in TAP WATER and it hit the bottom with a clunk, i know its not distilled water but what do you think??

Is the reading within 1 or 2 points of 1.000, or way off the chart below 1.000? If the reading is way less,
your hydrometer is most likely bad.

Don't know if you're on the app or the website. Via website, click the little paperclip thing just above where you post. Or click "manage attachments" down below. New window pops up. Pick the file(s) you want, hit upload, window closes, and you'll see the attachment show up below. It'll be there when you post.

Never used the iphone/ipad app, but via the android app, press the little "plus" button next to where you post, then press the three dots at the top right, then "attach a picture", select picture, and press. "upload as attachment".

While you're supposed to use distilled water, the dissolved substances in tap water should be so low that it shouldn't make a difference with the equipment we use. It'd take something magnitudes more precise to detect the difference. What matters is temperature.

That said, if your hydrometer is flat out sinking in tap water and it's not incredibly hot, then you, sir, have got yourself a faulty hydrometer.

I have just tested my Hydrometer is TAP WATER and it hit the bottom with a clunk, i know its not distilled water but what do you think???

Pic done thanks, and i think i will buy a ne hydrometer Cheers Mick

IMG_9093.jpg

Back